Request to modify gene - Super Tessera

Genetic Review Form.

Please fill the below form out to the best of your ability. Answers do not need to be lengthy. If appropriate you may forward this request to someone who is more able to supply the answers.

Current information
Species: Pantherophis gutattus (Corn Snake)
Name of Gene: Tessera

Genetics Type (Incdom/Codom/Recessive/Polygenic/etc): Incdom
In complex with other genes?: no
Other names/aliases for it?: no
Description: Dorsal Stripe with tessellated side blotches
Related Genes: NA
Problems: Any problems? additional gene detail description/category needed

New information

Genetics Type (Incdom/Codom/Recessive/Polygenic/etc):
In complex with other genes?:
Other names/aliases for it?:
Description:
Related Genes:
Problems: Any problems?
Other History: Any additional history?
Disagreement or Controversy:
References here on the community:

Other(if something not listed above, please use this section to explain what and why you would like changed): It would be great if a “Possible Super Tessera” gene category could be added as actual super Tessera are very rare. The only way to know for sure you have a super Tessera is through test breeding or through pairing of 2 super Tessera. All of the snakes currently listed on MorphMarket with a “Super Tessera” gene tab, are actually just “possible Super Tessera”.

1 Like

So if the homozygous form looks the same as the heterozygous form it would be dominant, not inc-dom. Unless they’re verified super tessera I don’t they should have the super tessera gene selected. Only tessera with a note of possible super tessera (@eaglereptiles can correct me if I’m wrong here). However I think something like this could be helpful if it also showed up under tessera. However this might be complicated to code for a single morph so it might take a while to be completed.

1 Like

As we don’t currently have a way to facilitate the tag they should at the very least clearly state it in the ad description and title.

I actually sent @snakesmiths here from our emails, but in my response I completely overlooked something to make a note of, so I’ll do so here. We have a “Possible” trait tag, however it cannot be used alongside a “Super” animals. Making that possible would be a fix.

For example, listing a animal with the trait tags “Possible” + “Salmon Hypo” will create a new tag… “Pos Salmon Hypo”… Animals For Sale - MorphMarket US & Canada - MorphMarket

2 Likes

Yes, Tessera is dominant… just chose from the list provided in haste. Thanks for correcting that. I also can’t seem to get over my penchant for misspelling “guttatus” :).

To be clear, I don’t feel like anyone on MM is intentionally misrepresenting their snakes as “Super Tessera”… it would just be nice to have a tag that more accurately reflects the actual genetics.

2 Likes

I would very much like to see the ability to choose poss super tessera. I currently have several right now and can’t use possible with the super tessera since it returns an error. Thanks

1 Like