Rescue boa morph ID

Hi everyone! I just took in what I believe to be a BCI Boa (common boa). She was not being fed, or cared for so a family member of her previous owner took her in, but didn’t have the resources to properly rehab her. She’s in rough shape, but I think I can get her back to where she needs to be in time.

Anyways, I don’t actually care what morph she is, but I am curious as I am familiar with ball python and corn snake morphs, but I’ve only ever had wild-type boas. I’m also curious if her morph is something like say, leopard, if I should expect her to stay on the smaller side. Again, a non-issue as I have the space for a large snake, just curious and I’d like to learn :).

Thanks for any help in identifying this sweet little lady! As of right now I’m calling her “Zaza”.

• Also, I just want to mention that I am sending in a BOID panel on her through RAL, she’s obviously quarantined from my other snakes and she will be going to a vet as soon as they have an open appointment.

6 Likes

@lumpy @smite @dsed

I can’t help but she is gorgeous! Thank you for taking her in!

5 Likes

Thanks! She’s very docile as well and seems like a great snake. So sad that she was kept in a tiny container and not fed for months. I can’t stand people. We don’t deserve these amazing creatures.

4 Likes

She’s so beautiful! I can’t believe people would neglect such a pretty snake.

3 Likes

You’d think being even a somewhat higher value animal would make a difference, but it doesn’t.

4 Likes

You would wouldn’t you…

Couldn’t even take a chance to get the shed off, people can be horrible sometimes… I’m glad she has a good home now

4 Likes

Full disclosure, I am really only any good at picking out the genetics my boas have but that looks like a sonoran leopard maybe. I’m sure someone will be along to correct me shortly :wink:

4 Likes

He literally had her in a tiny tub and wasn’t caring for her at all. To be fair, I think there were some kind of health issues, or mental health issues going on. I’m just glad that his family stepped in and took the snake before she died.

2 Likes

Yeah, I would say Leo as well, based on color and pattern.

3 Likes

I appreciate any input! I’m so curious about boa morphs and localities after doing a little bit of research.

1 Like

That seems right from my research. I was a bit unclear if leopard is considered a locale, morph, or potentially both?

2 Likes

Well God bless you dear sweet lady for taking her under your wing! :pray::heart:. Try not to think about her neglected past and just dwell on the happy times with her in the future! Once you get the stuck shed off her and then get a few good meals in her, she won’t look like the same animal!

Btw I like the tattoo you have on your wrist. I don’t know if the word “Faith” represents someone’s name or if you yourself have Faith. In any regard, Faith is a powerful word and we all must have to get through what’s coming.

Congratulations again on your new baby

4 Likes

Beautiful leopard boa👍

3 Likes

Hi my friend! How are ya? :blush::pray:

1 Like

Im good caron, how are you

1 Like

I am good too Dennis! :pray::blush::heart::ok_hand::sunglasses:

1 Like

She’s gorgeous! Agree that she looks like a Sonoran leopard. I’m far from an expert on boa morphs, but I really like leopards and seriously considered getting one, so I’ve spent a lot of time looking at them. The speckled, funky pattern, red belly, eyes, and head shape all say leopard to my eyes.

Leopard is a morph that’s found in the Sonoran locality (or is it officially a subspecies now?..I can’t keep all the boa taxonomy straight, as soon as I think I have it figured out, I find out it’s all changed :person_facepalming:). Sonorans are a dwarf boa, so she won’t get huge. 4-5 ft for a female, as I understand it.

4 Likes

Thank you! And thank you for all of this information! I will also be researching Leopard boas now! I’m not going to lie, I am happy that she will probably be on the smaller end because a 4x2x2 is totally doable (I have multiple), but a 5 or 6 foot would be a little rough for my small space. I’d make it happen for her, or find her a home that was better suited if she got to that 8ft+ mark.

They did say that she’s only 2 years old though and she’s already almost 4 feet, but very thin. I wonder if they got her age wrong…

1 Like

She was literally in my neighborhood, so I couldn’t turn her down. Good point! She will certainly have a much better life from here on out, my snakes are my family. I will post update pictures once she’s back to an ideal body condition!

Thanks! It’s actually a tattoo that my brother had. He passed in 2013 so I got the same ones as him “Faith” and “Loyalty” on each wrist with his birthday and death date. So, not religious based, but very meaningful to me!

2 Likes

I am so sorry to hear of your brother’s passing! Always remember that there is some measure of Faith in all of us. :pray:

2 Likes