Rescue Leopards (id help too) 😁

Oh so albinos in Leo’s can have non red eyes!
That’s amazing :laughing:

3 Likes

I think you’re just looking at the pupil?

3 Likes

The outer is white on the little one. The pupil is black.
I assumed albinos had to have red eyes until seeing yours?

3 Likes

Albinism doesn’t always result in red eyes. I can’t post pics that don’t belong to me, but if you google albinism and look at different species, you’ll see that light pink and even lavender eyes are possible. Bright red occurs in leos, but I’ve only seen it in albino + eclipse + enigma, though there might be other combos (I don’t know W/Y, Marble Eye, or NDBE very well). Albino + Eclipse makes very deep, dark red eyes like Taffy’s. The weirdest eyes I’ve seen in leos are with the BAE mutation, where albinos have what look like super dark eyes. Maybe @t_h_wyman or @chesterhf could explain why albinism can have ‘dark’ or non-pink eyes, but I don’t understand it myself.

6 Likes

Congrats on your new additions. Your a great person to take these in. I really hope they make it :crossed_fingers:

I can’t believe someone was selling them in such a state, I know I don’t know back story etc but I think the seller should of put more effort into their care before selling on, Or at least give them away for free given their poor health. Anyway well done and I look forward to updates as they progress

:+1:

4 Likes

You’re an Angel for taking these little kiddos in. I know they’ll be in good hands. Keep us posted on their progress and I’m sure you’ll get them settled in and fattened up in no time :slight_smile:

Also as an aside I wish people would be willing to part with animals they can no longer care for before they get to this degree (or worse) no shame in saying you can’t handle it for financial, medical, mental, life, whatever the heck reason. Gotta do what’s best for the little ones.

4 Likes

I think you might be referring to the BEW (acronym of Black-Eyed, White) phenotype as I have no knowledge of a BAE mutant.

If my assumption is correct, BEW is not an Albino, it is a T-pos type mutation which technically makes it a form of hypomelanism. I would say the confusion stems from the fact that the hobby consistently calls these types of mutation “T-pos Albino” or “Caramel Albino”

All true amelanistic Albinos will have red eyes. Many of the “T-pos Albinos” have red eyes but even then, the majority of these have an under tone in the eye as well that usually darkens over time (compare a hatchling Candy ball to an adult and you can see what I am referencing). And there are certainly “T-pos” types that have dark pigmented eyes, like the BEW mouse

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure that she meant BAE as an acronym for Blue Amber Eye, which is a relatively new leopard gecko morph.
https://www.leopardgecko.com/BAEinformation.html

2 Likes

Ohhh… I missed that it was a leo we were talking about. Somehow I got it in my head that we were talking about non-red-eyed albinos in other species
So… From my sixty-second speed-read on that link, I suspect that the BAE will prove to be a selective bred trait fully associated with Rainwater which is a which is a T-pos type mutation

3 Likes

I am So lost :sweat_smile: But this is so interesting :grin:

So is baby an albino stripe, just with the black/white eyes then? As I think that’s what’s throwing me off…
I’m so used to albinos having red eyes until my Amel Fatty, and now Leo’s…
I have lots to learn about Leo’s…

2 Likes

So, some sad news.
Little Grey didn’t make it, I’m not surprised and I was expecting it. She was in the worst state the poor thing… :black_heart:

1 Like

To brighten some sad news, here’s some pics just taken when I was cleaning them out :upside_down_face:
I adore first boy, he’s always staring…

7 Likes

I’m so sorry the little tailless grey baby didn’t make it. :frowning: She was in really rough shape, it’s certainly not because of anything you did. Still sucks though. Rest in peace, little one. :heart:

Those are some adorable pics of the remaining leos! I’m especially loving the markings on that last little baby. Particularly the white rings around his/her eyes. Like white eyeliner! Too cute! I really hope the rest of them make it, they’re all really beautiful, even in such rough shape.

4 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear that! I’m sure her last days with you were a comfort. :heart:

The rest look bright, alert, and reactive, so that’s great news! You can do it guys!!

4 Likes

Aw man. :frowning: im sorry the lil one didnt make it. That sucks, but at least she passed in a safe place.

I LOVE the pics if the others. Theyre looking alert and inquisitive.

4 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that. Hopefully the rest do great.

2 Likes

How are these guys doing @ghoulishcresties ? I’m rooting for them! :heart:

6 Likes