Resealing PVC Cage

Hey all,

Does anyone have experience resealing a used PVC enclosure? I recently picked up 3 used PVC enclosures that housed boas. The original silicone looks like it was applied very thin and I’m pretty sure the seal is no longer good judging by the urate stain/build up on the roof and ceiling of the two enclosures that were on the bottom of the stack. :face_vomiting:

Anyway, first time doing this and so far removing the old silicone with a caulking tool is proving be tedious and not all that effective. I tried youtube and all the videos were for removing caulking from around a tub or window. I’m a little hesistant to use WD-40 like my google results say since an animal will be living in these at some point. I’ve already given them one good wash just to get them clean enough to work on. I’m realizing they will probably need another good wash when I’m done resealing and the new silicone has cured. Any tips for getting all the old silicone removed so the new stuff actually adheres properly?

Thanks for the assistance!

2 Likes

How is the cage held together?

Honestly, the best way to really seal a cage is to run the bead inside the joint. So my advice would be to (making the assumption of screws) unscrew the bottom and sides, use a razor blade (a shavette offers better control if you want to invest a few bucks) to remove the old silicone, rub everything down with rubbing alcohol to get a clean surface, lay a new bead on the contact area of every join, and screw the unit back together. When you screw it together the excess silicone will squeeze out of the joint and you run your - preferably gloved - finger over it to complete the seal on the inside and either wipe off the excess on the outside or let the outside excess dry and then cut it free

4 Likes

Yes, screwed together. I actually thought about taking it apart entirely and then removing the silicone. I was hoping there would be a less labor intensive solution. :joy:

Oh well, this is probably for the best to make sure the old silicone is removed entirely and it is sealed properly going forward.

Thanks!

1 Like

Well, I’m glad I put in the extra work to completely disassemble the cages, remove all the old silicone entirely, and then reassemble/reseal. Thanks @t_h_wyman for the suggestion!

Getting the old silicone off was a PITA (except for the spots where there was no silicone applied to begin with :crazy_face:) but glad I did it. Taking them apart gave me the opportunity to clean and scrub each piece individually and it made a big difference. I ended up replacing the plexi doors because the old ones were just too far gone. Little tiny spider web cracks everywhere, a few big scratches, and a yellow tint overall. Anyway, it was a lot more work than I had anticipated but I can’t really complain about three 4x2 cages, three 80 watt heat panels, and a VE-300X2 thermostat for about half of what it would have cost me brand new.

They cleaned up nicely! I wish I had taken a before picture. Please disregard the sweat smudges all over the doors. It’s pretty hot in my garage right now.

5 Likes

Lookin good!!! :+1:

1 Like