Retichip breeder block

Just started using retichip, I followed a guide on YouTube and it’s sitting in a tote right now went vent holes. My question is, what is to wet for retichip for ball pythons? There’s some dry spots but when I pick it up and squeeze it water comes out just a tad. When I put it in my Sterlite tubs condinsation builds up, I take a paper towel and clean it up, humidity is around 55-60…just worried about scale rot, any advice is much appreciated. I also check the enclosure regularly everyday sometimes 2-3 times a day for mold, bowel movements, ect. I’ve had my snakes in them for around a week or so and haven’t noticed anything out of the ordinary but you can never be to sure; Also what causes mold when using retichip? What can I do to prevent it?

5 Likes

I am an aspen shavings person myself but I have tubs, not racks. Imho only, I say that if condensation is building up on the sides of the tubs then the substrate is way too damp/wet. If there are dry spots in the substrate then it’s probably not mixed well enough. If water comes out when you you squeeze a handful it’s too wet, which causes the condensation.

However I do use the Reptichip in my bi color python’s tub and I have keep one side of the tub really damp. I pour a bit of water on the one side and it creates condensation on that side but I have never had any issues with mold.

I am not a fan of the Reptichip but that’s what Tucson was on at the breeder’s and he needs one side of his tub to be very humid…….

3 Likes

I grabbed a handful substrate from the tubs just now and no water came out but it was damp feeling, it’s only when I grab a single piece and squeeze it really hard. I’ve seen a lot of people saying they use Aspen, how do you keep it humid?

3 Likes

If you have it too wet when you put it in the tubs it won’t necessarily bother the ball pythons but it will mold very quickly if your tubs aren’t well ventilated.

5 Likes

I’m in the Midwest so there is always quite a bit of humidity already in the air. Since my guys are in tubs with lids, that helps a lot. I only have 1 BP that doesn’t shed in one piece so I just move the water bowl closer to the hot side and that takes care of the problem.

I don’t know where you are located. You might be in a drier area naturally which makes a difference……. Imho if my bps shed without assistance then the humidity is sufficient in the tub…….

3 Likes

I believe they are vented in pretty good, I’m just scared of scale rot.

The first pic is of my normal girl, the second pic is of my piebald, he was squirming everywhere so sorry for the pic, but he has 1 tiny little brown spec. I’ve never had scale rot so not entirely sure what I’m looking for. My normal girl has a little brown spot and a really light pinkish tint to her belly.

3 Likes

I’m Kentucky, swamp weather lol. I was using fir bark mixed with soil and some moss, it worked just fine but it has a bad smell to it after 2 days, and just didn’t look good imo, but this retichip stuff is scaring me, I’m constantly checking the belly’s of my snakes…idk I might just be paranoid but I just want to be safe.

3 Likes

I’m originally from KY so you know what I mean about humidity. I hate it! I just really like aspen because I don’t especially like the feeling of “dirt” in my tubs and I don’t have to worry about mold. Plus poop is a lot easier to see and clean out with aspen…….

Since you are in the Midwest you should not have to worry too much about humidity anyway :blush:

3 Likes

In your opinion, and I know it’s hard to tell by a pic but do you think the pics I posted above look like scale rot?

3 Likes

Are the spots crusty? Scale rot is usually a brown/red/or crusty/raised place. So what you describe qualities and I can see a couple of brown spots. I would remove those snakes and put them on paper towels to monitor.

However, unless the snakes were sitting on poop/waste unsanitary substrate with mold, I can’t see how they could actually have scale rot.

3 Likes

If it is scale rot you should keep the snakes environment as dry and clean as possible. Use a small amwater bowl so avoid soaking. Scale rot if caught in the early stages should clear up with future sheds but I would keep them quarantined until the spots go away.

And you will need to deeply sanitize the tubs they were in…….

3 Likes

The spots are not crusty, just a tiny brown spec, and I faithfully check the enclosures everyday that’s where my confusion is coming in because they do not sit in filth. I think I’m just going to use paper towels from here on out and put a humid box in when they go into shed. I’d rather my tub look empty and plain then my buddies to suffer. Only thing that scares me with paper, is obviously the humidity…and how often to change the paper out, obviously when they have bowel movements, I’ve never used paper as a substrate and I really can’t find to much online about it.

3 Likes

So if you use a few layers of absorbent paper towels you should be fine because paper towels will not raise the humidity. You should not have to put in humid hides for shedding. Just put the water bowl closer to the hot side.

I believe you are stressing for no reason and you may be over thinking this. I have one of my bps and my Borneo on paper towels. Cleanup is a breeze……

3 Likes

I believe I am to :sweat_smile: I really appreciate your help, you have been one of the most helpful person I’ve discovered in any forums. Thank you.

3 Likes

Well I appreciate your kind words and thank you. I just know that I been in uncertain situations myself so I know how it feels.

That’s the beauty of this forum family! Everyone helps each other. Keep us updated on how you babies are doing. And again if it is scale rot you caught it early and you should not have to get a vet involved.

Happy 4th!:+1::blush:

3 Likes

Im not seeing scale rot in those pictures. Most of my friends that breed ball pythons prefer reptichip over paper/aspen. Aspen molds to easy and the coconut helps with odors and hold humidty very well. Once you get the feel for the proper wetness of the coconut you’ll be good. My friends all use tubs/racks as well. I also have a few that use aspen/paper as well. It comes down to what works best for you.

5 Likes

Yay! I was wrong according to @dsed! @sinisterpythons I am not a breeder so I don’t have the experience as breeders do. So whatever you are doing, it must be right! :heart::+1::blush:

1 Like

Have you considered ventilation?
The amount of moisture in the substrate is irrelevant if not the right ventilation, its a balance thing. Regardless of the type of substrate.
Air flow is also important to avoid bacteria build up.
I have no substrate, only dry paper, but with the right sized water bowl that matches my sufficient ventilation I get good humidity and air flow and no condensation.
Same it true with whatever substrate.
You want the right humidity and ventilation without them sitting on wetness, balancing it all together with ventilation will ensure that.

5 Likes

I wasnt implying you were wrong? Just gave an opinion?

3 Likes

@dsed Oh no! I am glad you don’t think that it’s scale rot truly! It’s a lot better for @sinisterpythons!

I’m sincerely glad! !! :heart:

3 Likes