Rikka is here! šŸ˜

Little Rikka is here šŸ„² It has been so long waiting for my Bamboo! I wanted one years ago and never found a female so gave up looking, and now I finally have her with meā€¦ Hillside Exotics has been amazing. A HUGE thanks to Simon who kept me updated the whole time and sent me pictures when I asked :wink: (It was a lot) Sorry! Haha.
Oh Iā€™m so smitten!! Sheā€™s beautifulā€¦ Born July 27th! :blush:

20 Likes

So pretty :star_struck: hope she settles in well :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

Thankyou!
Now we waitā€¦ Not tried killing me yet, appears to be going into shed so going to leave her alone for the next few days even though it pains meā€¦ A lotā€¦ :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Congratulations on the new arrival, sheā€™s adorable!

Itā€™s better to give them a few weeks to settle in without handling anyway, even though itā€™s rough

5 Likes

I agree one week minimum to wait but the longer the better. Personally I would wait one week before feeding and after a successful feed handle after a couple days. The longer you wait and the more comfortable she is the better sheā€™ll eat and the more you can handle later. This is always tricky when getting a new reptile (luckily my last couple geckos were young and hard to handle so I wouldnā€™t have handled anyways).

5 Likes

Oh it is rough haha.
I was handing Blaze from day 1 :joy: I have done with all my Reptiles though, Royals included. Hideyoshi was out with me walking about all the time in my pocket :upside_down_face:

But since sheā€™s bluing on her head I think sheā€™s going to shed. So feeding will start from next week with her, and going to leave her to shed in peace!

Sheā€™s been out and about being nosey though!
I turned around a minute ago and her head was out her hide just staring at me. Quite creepyā€¦ :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Congratulations! She is beautiful. I am a huge fan of bamboo combos. Canā€™t wait to see what you do with her!

4 Likes

Thankyou!
I cannot wait I must say, her and Blaze should work well together. :blush::heart:

4 Likes

You definitely will be seeing some beautiful babies.

4 Likes

Oh, how beautiful!

I agree, her and Blaze will be wonderful together! :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

5 Likes

Thankyou!
Sheā€™s always out and about too, even with being in an exo! I thought i would have too black out the sides, but I was sorting the water out yesterday and she was out to say hello and all. Keeps popping her head out the hide just resting it on there too (itā€™s like a rock one) :blush:

Blaze right now is staring waiting for his food so I shall not say hello right now :woman_facepalming:t2::joy:

2 Likes

Keep in mind wandering with a new snake (especially BPs) is often a stress response, so if she is wandering a lot she is likely stressed. Definitely wouldnā€™t make a habit of handling BPs right when you get them. They need to settle in for a week or sometimes two to have the best chance at thriving.

4 Likes

Sheā€™s usually out to have a drink, then stare at me :sweat_smile: or just rests her head outside her rock :relaxed:
Kept BPs for years and always handled from day one, but thatā€™s just me, Iā€™ve actually left her to it though until she climbed out the viv yesterday and I had to put her back.
Hideyoshi is usually an Active boy too, though heā€™s always been that way, recently though heā€™s enjoyed chilling in his hide a lot, as is Blaze active, or messing up his pretty enclosure (moves things about, turns out didnā€™t want the hide, he likes the skullā€‹:woman_facepalming:t2:) and even Seal is usually out chilling on her log (is now) though probably knows food time is soon though :thinking:
Rats arenā€™t warmed up yet though so itā€™s a late meal for them. Probably all angry with me :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Well sheā€™s just taken a small weaner!
I think sheā€™s quite a happy girly here, I am so happy! For a slow fussy ā€˜sassyā€™ starter who decided sheā€™d attack food and not eat for over a month (only started eating September 15th) before she realised she had to actually eat it, I say thatā€™s Amazing! :laughing:

2 Likes

Full and chilling.

3 Likes

Weā€™re serious when we say not to feed or handle for at least a week. The first acclimation period is important and even though she might seem like sheā€™s settled in fine sheā€™s not (sheā€™s roaming, trying to escape, etc.). Itā€™s difficult for everyone not to handle but itā€™s still an important part for the animal. The animal comes before your happiness (I often tell myself this when considering changes in husbandry).

3 Likes

Blaze also ate a few days after coming here as has every royal Iā€™ve owned but 2 fussy eater yearlings when I had them (knew were fussy). And when posting that nothing was said :thinking:
As said Iā€™ve owned Royals for years now and never had an issue at all with handling from the day they got here, I know a lot of people (friends) and breeders who handle from day 1 also with no issues. One of which I actually got a few off of years ago.
Thankyou for your concern though, I do appreciate your comment, but I know what Iā€™m doing as Iā€™ve had them quite a while now, Iā€™m not new to them at all. Even had a big ol 3kg female that was handled from day one too, she was a hissy girl so we put in the work to chill her more. Stayed hissy but that was ok.
I havenā€™t handled Rikka anyway, but I offered food as my other female was eating and she was out. She took it and is now chilling.
I handle every reptile from day one myself, always have and I probably always will if I can. I handle Crestie hatchlings from day one for instance, a lot donā€™t agree with that but Iā€™ve never once had an issue there either, a lot donā€™t even agree with putting them straight into bio set ups either (again never an issue) but we all do our things our own way, and thatā€™s fine. :blush: Weā€™ve even been told when we get our Kimberleys to handle a lot as they arenā€™t the best at taming otherwise! Which again Iā€™m sure people wonā€™t like the sound of haha.
Anyway, I have left her alone since getting her as I knew she was a fussy eater at the start and didnā€™t want that happening here, as hard as that is for me but I decided on that because of her past fussiness, but she was out looking so I offered and she snapped it right up.
I wonā€™t be handling her yet (my choice). Iā€™d rather she took a couple meals here with me first, but touch wood will be fine taking them it seems. :relaxed:

(Also when I said sheā€™s out a lot, I mean at night when theyā€™re usually active, and or when sheā€™s having a drink) All my Royals are usually out and about at night, especially on food night when they smell the rats :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Congratulations! Youā€™ve got a beautiful snake there! I also love bamboo! Are you thinking of breeding her in the future, or is she just a pet only?

2 Likes

Thanking you!
Theyā€™re my fav morph after Banana I must say!
When sheā€™s up and ready she will be going to Blaze :blush:

5 Likes

I think handling from day 1 makes it trickier but it likely works for you. We each have our own preferences.

4 Likes