RIP Artephius, my much-loved friend

Artephius, my wonderful 21-year old corn snake, former classroom pet who was patient with nervous kids, educational animal who was calm and curious at every event however large or small, sire of beautiful babies with his lovely disposition, excellent tv-watching buddy and wannabe Egyptian headdress, recently died unexpectedly.

Artephius had been here since 2009. He had been behaving normally, cruising his enclosure and climbing his tree as usual. He had refused his last couple of meals (his last meal eaten was 17 March) but he did this every spring like so many male corns. I wasn’t concerned. I don’t know why he died. I’m thankful that he seemed to be enjoying life right up until the end.

I’ve been putting this thread off because it is hard to write. It is hard to believe, in fact. But I’ve had a few people ask about Artephius lately, so I need to do this. I went to Arkansas to spend time with our daughter, her hubby, and their wonderful new daughter. While I was gone, Dan was caring for the menagerie. One day, Artephius had passed without warning. He had plenty of fresh water, and had been acting like his usual self. Artephius’s enclosure was in the dining room, right by Dan’s chair so Dan was very aware of him.

I took Artephius out for a photo shoot in March. The light was good and I had a bit of time. I’m extra thankful now that I did. RIP, my sweet, beautiful boy.

18 Likes

Oh no! He was one of a kind. And a link to another era in the hobby. Sorry to hear it, Caryl.

8 Likes

Artephius lived such a full, incredible life and was a wonderful ambassador for his species. He was also so very gorgeous and unique. There will never be another like him, and I’m sure there is a very special place in your heart where his memory will live on forever. :people_hugging:

9 Likes

Thank you both. Artephius did sire a few babies who were similar, though not exactly like him. I’m hoping that Basilius will be very close when he’s mature. He’s a 2yo now.

8 Likes

Oh Caryl how sad for you and Dan. I’m sure he was a family member after 15 years with you guys. But as you said in so many words, he was living life to the fullest right up to the end. That’s the best way for all of you.
Sad Best Friends GIF by Lisa Vertudaches

9 Likes

Thanks, I do appreciate the hug. Yeah, it was pretty hard news. Artephius was definitely a member of the family. I fell in love when I saw the first one of his morph and I was thrilled when I was able to get him. I never stopped being in love.

There were a lot of negative things happening at the same time, making it harder to take. Dan was pretty stressed out. At least we know Artephius didn’t have to suffer for long. Sudden deaths of any kind are hard on those left behind, but can be easier on the departed. So that is a kind of comfort.

8 Likes

Caryl, sorry for your loss. 21-yrs is a hell of a run though. Sounds like he was very well loved and will be missed immensely.

8 Likes

He did have a full, long life. I am happy he lived so long. Did I hope for more? Sure. I am not complaining, though. When a being has a long life and leaves it without drama, well, that’s a blessing. I miss my buddy but I am grateful that he went easily.

7 Likes

He was so lovely and sweet! I’m sorry he’s gone.

7 Likes

I am truly sorry for your loss

It is always rough when one of our long-time friends moves on. My first real CBB purchase was an Amel corn who made it to the ripe old age of 23. I still keep his picture in my phone

6 Likes

Thank you both. It’s a different kind of hard to lose one who’s had a full life, and been part of the family for so long.

This made me tear up. Considering all the wondrous creatures who have been in your life, that’s a lovely tribute.

6 Likes

I’m so very sorry for the loss of your beautiful Artephius.

4 Likes

Oh no, I’m so very sorry for your loss. He was absolutely gorgeous, and it sounds like he had an amazing temperament. Losing any animal is hard, but losing one who has been with you for so long, and to lose them unexpectedly, is especially rough. Hugs to you. :people_hugging:

At least you have beautiful pictures and memories, and his offspring, to keep his memory and legacy alive. :heart:

5 Likes

Thank you, @gina5678. I appreciate you.
And you as well, @jawramik.

This is pure truth. I’m thankful for the pics we’ve got from times past. I’m very thankful for Artephius’s living legacy. I have some of his sons, daughters, grands, with more grands on the way. Next year, I hope to produce more with his lovely look. So yes, that keeps his legacy alive. That’s a help.

5 Likes