Ripley Updates

She will darken up a little as an adult but not to much. Here are some links to some old pictures of Jim Gaspar’s adult fire retics for you.

http://www.mccarthyboas.com/GasparRetics.html

6 Likes

TY for the correction! Sadly I cannot see the pictures you supplied though. Is fire a designer/combo morph for retics?

4 Likes

@emfraise
I fixed the pictures for you.

6 Likes

Those are some gorgeous snakes for sure, I cannot wait for Ripley to get some more size on her! Seeing that they look the same overall as my girl, is fire another name for platinum/tiger/sunfire combos?

3 Likes

I am not sure about the retic morph as I only do boas now. Only had a few retics years ago. Gave my last purple albino motley retic to my son last year.

5 Likes

Took my lovely lady with me to the park for a Memorial day stroll!





We had some ups and downs with her eye issue since my post in February, but as of late March it seems to officially have healed and is no longer dealing with fluid retention. In that time, I think Ripley has really come around to trusting me, allowing me to hold her head with minimal fuss and just generally being very relaxed whenever I have her out and about. I can’t believe she’s going to be a year old next month!

6 Likes

So I am drooling right now Elijah! Ripley is a dream snake for me! I’m glad she’s more trusting as a result of her eye treatments! I truly believe snakes are smarter than some people give them credit for!

3 Likes

TYSM Caron! She’s been a dream for me, for sure, and I cannot be happier to have her. They don’t joke when they say retics are smart, she’s such an interactive and tractable animal. :yum:

3 Likes

In celebration of turning one year old, it looks like Miss Ripley wanted a new set of clothes and shed for me!



Looking lovely, sitting about 4-4.5 ft long at this point. Dwarf blood putting in work and letting her take her time with growing, not that I mind too much. When she’s 10ft+, gonna miss the days of her being my movie buddy!

Some pics that give a better idea of how much she’s grown, here she is on the day I got her 9 months ago in the first two pics, and then today in the lower two (a little more difficult to wrangle, these days!);


And while we’re at it, enjoy a little video, too! :yum:

5 Likes

So pretty! What will she weigh at 10+ feet?

1 Like

She can still be a movie buddy. Just a heavier one. Lol

I’m really hoping my 1/2 jamp gal stays petite. My Kalatoa girl looks like she put on some size since I started giving her a pig once a month instead of rats. Anything over 10’ is probably a no go for me with my back. X_x

3 Likes

Thank you! And I’m not quite sure, I’ll assume no more than my 7’ boa boy assuming she’ll keep a lankier body. She’ll still be manageable, but she really likes to move and explore - sometimes I let her climb around on my cat tree for exercise. Sans cat, of course! :joy: It’s one of my dreams to be able to make a free-roam enrichment space for my larger snakes, some day.

Haha, I guess you’re not wrong, though I’ll likely miss half the movie trying to keep her determined tail from crawling inside my couch! :sob:

Fingers crossed that they stay smaller for you! Rip will probably max out around 15’ if I had to guess, she’s only 12.5% Selayer and her mom was 14’ while her dad was 9’. I’ll admit I don’t gun her the food and have her on a more modest feeding schedule, but she is also my ball python refusal garbage can and even then she definitely seems to be taking her time with growing, and I get the feeling it’ll take a cool minute before she’s touching the double digits. You should share some pics of your tics, I’d love to see them! :yum:

On a side note, do you have a local source for pigs? Or do you know an online vendor?

3 Likes

Mine’s a local reptile shop. They just happen to keep the 2lbs frozen ones in stock. The owner also breeds SDs from what I understand so maybe that’s why.

I’m not sure of an online source that does pigs but I know a few of the rodent sellers do rabbits or guinea pigs if you want something heftier than rats.

My 2 adults (8y.o. 62.5% Kalatoa white albinos) are usually the disposal for my larger retired rat breeders…at least when my 3 largest BPs aren’t ready for one. But they did great with a dog food bowl full of quail or chicken hearts too. Lol

The parents on my younger girl were 11’ and 7’ iirc. So I’m hoping she stays around that 9-10 at most. But at 2 years she’s still pretty small and lanky too. Not much larger than Ripley

3 Likes

That’s awesome that you have access to that! Whenever I finally decide to move, maybe I should keep “access to a local reptile shop” in mind for location! I actually just found out that my only local non-chain pet store is probably going to close in a month or two, which means I’ll have to explore other venues for my weekly cricket purchases for my gecks. :persevere:

But yeah, I do recall seeing that option on some sites to get rabbits or guinea pigs. Right now Rip is on a rotating diet of small rats and day old chicks, plus the occassional mouse, so I have plently of time before something that size will be necessary, thankfully. Though I’ve definitely been tempted to see if my 13yo boa would like some variety, as happy as he’s been on rats!

Oh dear, I bet that had to be an interesting sight to see! Did they just sit there and gobble it all up piece by piece? Or just take heaping mouth-fulls of whatever they could get? I have a hard time picturing that, being so used to seeing snakes just take whole prey! :joy:

Even if she pushes a little over that, I’ll bet she stays managable for you. The length of large snakes seems intimidating on paper, but especially with lankier (and not terribly obese) tics, their size sounds so much bigger than it is. I can easily hold Rip in one hand but she’s already almost longer than I am tall! :joy:

1 Like

The female occasionally would gulp whatever she got her mouth around. The male was pretty good at doing one item at a time. Lol.

That is true … I’m more used to my big male BP just being a silly weight because he’s not nearly as lanky. Hopefully she’ll balance out and her climbing tendencies will help. But that’s still further down the line. =)

3 Likes

@emfraise Hey Elijah! Ripley is looking lovely as ever! I watched the late Steve Irwin’s son Robert, swim underwater with a giant retic several years ago at their zoo in Australia. That’s when owning a retic was added to my bucket list! Ripley’s face is such a lovable one! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Am I the only one that likes the heat sensing pits of reticulated pythons ?

1 Like

No, I think they’re neat! Part of what throws me off about scaleless ball pythons is they don’t have heat pits. It’s so strange. A retic without them would just look sad

4 Likes

Elijah Ripley looks fantastic. The tiger morph pattern is my favorite retic morph. I think in the future I will be getting a new retic as my son plans on breeding them in a year or two.

2 Likes

Yeah , I personally am against scale less of all reptile species , they just seem a bit sad

2 Likes