Roaches and Seafood Allergies

Anaphylaxis is a systemic reaction, it’s not just in the lungs. Your body gets sensitized to the allergen and reacts (usually with increasing strength) to each exposure, which can come in many forms. Someone who is allergic to eating shellfish would likely react to it being injected as well (please do not inject seafood). Most people are more familar with the “my throat is closing up” anaphylaxis symptom, but a reaction can also include hives, GI symptoms, low blood pressure, headache and dizziness, etc. For me personally, a bee sting and shellfish will both cause anaphylaxis, but with a completely different set of symptoms - bee stings will cause trouble breathing, chest tightness and hives while shellfish leads to dizziness, tunnel vision and blood pressure drop

7 Likes

I second this. We have some great knowledgeable people on this thread. I have kept roaches for quite a while and I have learned a couple new things on here :slight_smile:

I second this as well.

4 Likes

I definitely agree I have a dead baby one I found in my bathroom and out it in a jar for safe keeping hahaha

2 Likes

The fact you had to say “please don’t inject seafood” reminds me of why I have 0 faith in humanity. Cause someone one day would do it

5 Likes

Agreed. And I’m gonna sound like an old fart saying this but What the HECK is wrong with most people these days. If people will eat Tide Pods then arguably this might be an improvement. Not that I’m condoning eating detergent or injecting seafood :joy:

4 Likes

No joke… :rofl: I bet someone already has.

1 Like

I’m curious of the logistics of grinding down seafood into such a thin slurry it can be injected. I dunno if someone whose dumb enough to inject seafood could actually get this to work. Course you could always **** off a zebra mantis shrimp (they have stabby appendages) and he could do the work for you. :thinking:

3 Likes

@jenfalconer-nidhoggnoses the answer, yes it is possible. As someone who is trained in IV administration, you could get the substrate small enough to be injected through the vein.

4 Likes

Oh piece of cake, you just need a mini pulverizer.

Bring me a chunk of seafood and I’ll have an injectable solution ready for you within the hour.

To be honest, a blender and coffee filter would probably be sufficent as well

8 Likes

Hahaha I was just about to suggest that. :rofl:

“I love seafood so much I started mainlining it” is probably something that someone has said, somewhere, at some point. Because humanity is just that ridiculous. :person_facepalming:

5 Likes

Lol don’t be sharing the “on the side” way to do it :rofl:

3 Likes

Just…no.:person_facepalming:

Some idiot is going to do this…
Aaaand win a darwin award…
Aaaand become an episode of House…

Smh.:roll_eyes:

6 Likes

Maybe you could taste the seafood when it is injected like when you get an IV and it sort of tastes like metal? :rofl: Oh the great ideas these people come up with.

4 Likes

@lumpy you can’t just go around telling people this! :rofl:

5 Likes

Lol true true :rofl:

4 Likes

Hahah. I love you all. This is too funny :joy:

4 Likes

When I would work with the dubia, even masked and gloved, my throat would close down and my mucus membranes would erupt. An entire pack of children’s chewable Benadryl and a couple dozen hits on my inhaler and I would be right as rain.

But if I ate a crustacean, I had about 60-90 minutes before I got VIOLENT gastrointestinal distress. Horrific stabbing pain that would have me checking myself in for an appendectomy if I had not already had mine removed back in high school.

You need not grind it down. Soak lobster shells in water for a couple hours with gentle agitation and that would be sufficient. Or… Crack crabs barehanded and get stuck by the pointy bits.

9 Likes

Man, it is to easy to hurt ourselves lol :joy:

7 Likes