Rodent pro experiences

I just placed my first order with rodent pro, I usually get all my rodents at my local exotic reptile shop, but it cost so much more. It would have cost $650 at my local shop where on RODENT PRO it cost me $300. So the price difference is amazing, but is the quality good and are the sizes accurate? What are your experiences? Any feedback is appreciated!

2 Likes

From what I’ve heard (no firsthand experience) they are good for inexpensive rodents but there are often people who talk about getting an order where the rodents are bad. It seems like their quality is good but every once in a while they have a bad order (that they quickly fix).

4 Likes

I have been ordering from Rodent Pro pretty exclusively for maybe 6 or 7 years. Never had a bad order personally. I will say sometimes the sizing runs smaller than I would like, but it’s nothing that would make me consider going elsewhere.

5 Likes

I’ve always had a good experience with them. Weights seem consistent in their sizing. Mice seem to be good quality and my snakes don’t ever refuse them.

3 Likes

I use either Rodent Pro or Perfect Prey depending on what is in stock, of course. I would probably end up choosing Rodent Pro due to they usually are in stock. But Perfect Prey does run bigger, just ever so slightly. Rodent Prey have multiple different choices of frozen mammals; like rabbits. It really becomes a personal preference.

3 Likes

I’ve worked with them for 2 or 3 years now and they have always been on time with good packaging and quality of the rodents. They accidentally sent it out to the wrong address once when I first started ordering from them and the same day they corrected the problem for me and sent me a fresh batch of feeders and apologized for the mixup. All in all a 10/10 with them so far.

3 Likes

They are really do ship quality rodents.

2 Likes

This made me laugh. I could just imagine someone’s reaction when they opened their door to a box of frozen rats on their doorstep. :joy: :rofl: :joy:

In all seriousness when I start ordering rodents online (I have a few local sellers, so I’ll start there for small quantity) I’ll likely go to Rodent Pro.

6 Likes

I ordered from RodentPro for years before I started producing my own live rodents last year. You’re right, you can’t beat their price point, but in my experience their quality is all over the place. I’ve received freezer burned rodents, rodents with significant lice issues (not that the lice will cause problems if ingested, but it does indicate poor on-site conditions, which could very well impact snake health), and I’ve had three separate instances where I had to throw an entire bag out because I had snakes regurgitate shortly after consuming the rodents, so a bad batch. RodentPro also chronically sells rodents at the small side of their advertised size range. In this past this has been not only an issue for my snakes, but also for my research with burying beetles with poorly sized rodents (research methodology requires large rats to be consistent, I was sent rodents that barely hit the upper limit of mediums). And, this is minor, the rats are just slapped in a bag. They’re not neatly packed, which results in broken tails and feet when you want to extract just one or two rodents at a time.

To my understanding (granted, my knowledge is years out of date, this is what I recall from the Faunaclassifieds Board of Inquiry before it was taken down), I believe Rodent Pro heavily relies on secondary rodent suppliers to fill orders, not everything they sell is produced in house, which can explain the quality control issues.

That said, the price point was just too good, and I dealt with the cons for years. The other rodent shippers just can’t come close to the price, especially when you factor in shipping.

6 Likes

I used RodentPro exclusively for over a decade when I only had boas. 95% of the time everything was great. Great prices and usually a good product. You can find 10% off discount codes with a little searching to make it even cheaper.

Since moving to the more picky eaters in ball pythons I breed all my own rats. Happy to save a little money and have full control of my food supply.

4 Likes

Haha yeah I feel bad for whoever had to open that up :joy:

3 Likes

Oh my Nan would’ve freaked!
Even knowing I have rats in my freezer freaks her out :joy:
(The other half’s freezer actually) :rofl:

4 Likes

I would have to agree with most of the other comments, I’ve only gotten good orders from them but the sizing seems to be a little smaller than when I order from say Cold Blooded Café. example being I order small mice once from RP and they were almost the same size as hoppers from CBC. But RP will have specials on different sizes and free shipping promo’s on orders over $100, so definitely not bad.

3 Likes