Rodent room - Air Purifiers recommendations

What specific air purifiers have you tried/have that work great? Trying to stay on a budget, but if it’s a fantastic one proven to work I’ll stretch the budget.

There’s just a lot of dust accumulating and I want to clean any bad dust that gets flung in the air when I clean the enclosures out. Unfortunately, the HVAC system doesn’t vent the basement so that’s of no help.

Also have a cat (and occasionally some fosters) so it needs to perform well with cats AND rodents.

For reference, rodent bedding: I use sweet PDZ, kiln dried pine pellets, and dried shredded pine or flakes. 1:4 colonies in a 5 tub rack, frame made with white wood from hardware store, then one large horse trough (modified) with a 2:10 colony.

Thanks for any help in advanced, I haven’t had one before so I need help deciding.

2 Likes

I wish I had some helpful advice to offer, but since my rodents are in my garage I havent bothered with significant air purification. I just open a window and have a box fan blowing across the racks. I have contemplated attaching filters to the fan to help remove dust, but havent done so yet.

2 Likes

Yeah I would’ve ideally used or made something outside seperate from the house, but we don’t have enough space on the property for that, and no garage, so they have to be in the house. (Big reason why I’m not raising rats or mice along side my ASF)

2 Likes

I haven’t found (but have not tried many options) for oder. If you have a window, you can try an ac window unit but just use the fan. They have filters in them. If no windows, you could always install a small split unit with ac and heat. The pellets are causing the dust. I did not have a problem until I started using them. I tried different ones and still same dust issue. But it does help on oders.

2 Likes

I use the Germ Guardian air purifiers from Amazon(link at end). They also have a UV light (that you can turn on/off) and they do a great job for me as all my animals are in my house. I keep one in my “snake office”, one in the “snake/rat” bedroom (both 10’x12’ rooms), 2 in my “snake living room” (open floor plan) and one in my bedroom (no snakes in there bc I like it cold). They run about $100 each, filters are super easy to find on Amazon also. I extend the life of my filters by vacuuming the outer carbon filter and the Hepa filter every other week. I usually get 3 months out of each filter change. Here’s the link: https://www.amazon.com/GermGuardian-AC4825-Sanitizer-Allergens-Guardian/dp/B07GBL679N/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3EHXQYIWVTY6C&keywords=germ%2Bguardian%2Bair%2Bpurifier&qid=1673013653&sprefix=germ%2B%2Caps%2C69&sr=8-3&th=1

1 Like

I used an Filtrete Air Purifier before I moved the rodents into a shop.

2 Likes

Unfortunately the windows are ground level in that room and tiny, I open the in the warmer months but they gotta be closed for rain (water does not pool by the windows or anything, I regraded when I moved in to make sure the water would flow away from the house.)

Makes sense on the pellets. It helps so much with cleaning, I probably won’t stop using them so I’ll definitely need a filter/purifier other than the dehumidifier down there lol.

1 Like

Noted. Just got a lower $ one to test in the guest/snake room to see how it does.

1 Like

Oh this one seems great, thank you for the link! I’ve added this one on my try list as well as a Levoit. Will need to compare.

1 Like

I have a Levoit, it works really nice until you have to replace the filter. Mine for some reason doesn’t recognize the new filter and still tells me my filter is dirty.

Oh I hope I don’t run into that issue. :cold_sweat: We got 2! Can update when it’s time to replace the filters. Ik I’m planning to vacuum out the rodent room one asap (if it needs it, I’m sure it does though)

1 Like