Rosy Boa Surprise

No, no, no, no, only the probe was in the inside, not the pad itself. I have corrected everything. She doesn’t go IN the hide either, she’s on the backside of it, scaring me because she won’t move and looks stuck.

Yes, she’s alive and not stuck at all.

I went and spent a little extra for a hot glue gun and glued it to the bottom of the tank so the snakes can’t move it from the glass for a more accurate reading. Glue dried pretty quick, just look out for strings.

If the snake poops/pees on the probe then it won’t get as accurate of a reading. If it does get moved then it will lead to a hazardous situation, and if they get caught up in the wire then it would be pretty easy for them to move it. Especially if it is just hot glued to glass. Pretty easy to get hot glue off glass honestly. Safest way to have it is sandwiched between the glass and the UTH. You will see basically everyone that is experienced suggest that.

1 Like

@ashleyraeanne @mnroyals

We tried to feed her. We found her on the cool side of the tank, got her to take the pinkie and left her alone. We just checked and she has moved hiding spots and left the pinkie behind. Do we leave her alone or try again?

That means it was probably a defensive strike. My rosy has done that a couple of times when she was younger. Always wait a week at least between feeding attempts, as repeated offerings can stress them. Another reason I wait until they have had time to settle in before feeding is because stress can lead to defensive responses. Which size tank are you using for her?

Ok, so we just leave the pinkie in there over night and refreeze if there in the morning?

We only tried feeding because the breeder told us to, otherwise we would have waited till Monday.

She’s in the 20L. It’s been confirmed by several people that she’s not too small for it.

You can’t refreeze them. You just need to throw it away because they rot and start smelling bad really quickly.

1 Like

You mean the 20 gallon long? Who said that she isn’t too small for it? She is tiny, and large enclosures can cause stress on baby snakes of all kinds. @mnroyals can back me up on this, as a 20 gallon long is huge for a baby that tiny. It can and will lead to failed feedings especially if you don’t have it in a low traffic area or have the sides blocked out. Do you have an temp gun as well? To make sure the temps aren’t too high.

Several other breeders/ owners in a Rosy boa FB group and some other non internet strangers who own snakes. They said she was big enough for the long.

But we can move her or block off half of the tank.

We don’t have a gun.

Facebook groups are some of the worst places to get info on reptiles. They aren’t reliable, trust me on this. Very rarely will you find good information on them. You need a temp gun asap. You can’t be sure your temps are ok without one.

We have hydrometers and thermometers in the tank. One on each side (4 total) and then on in the neutral area (for a fifth). They’re all made for reptiles and have been very reliable in the past.

Yes most likely a defensive strike. You can leave the pink in there up to 8 hours, then remove and throw away. Never refreeze any uneaten prey items.
I would wait a week or so until you try again if she doesn’t eat on her own tonight. She’s perfectly healthy from the photos and that time without a meal won’t hurt her at all.
I agree with @ashleyraeanne on that. 20 long is far to big for a snake that size, particularly a Rosy. That will most likely cause feeding issues unless your husbandry other that tank size are met 100%.
Can it be done, yes, but not till after you’ve established a feeding routine and know the snake is settled in.

I’m not even going to comment on FB, Ashley said it perfectly.

You need a heat gun. End of story, no if and but’s about it. You will not get an accurate reading without one.

1 Like

Are they just the stick on ones? If they aren’t digital with a probe they aren’t reliable. Some of the worst information I have ever seen on reptiles has been on FB groups. As someone with a permanently tiny rosy that was a runt when born, I can tell you that a 20g long is too big. I used to keep her in a 10 gallon with a lot of cover, and still had refused feedings than I do now. I keep her in a 15 quart tub and haven’t had a single refusal since, and she still has a lot of room.

1 Like

What gun do you guys recommend, I will never do FB groups again, and the tank will sectioned off to a more appropriate size.

Oh, and no, they’re absolutely digital. I will never use the non digital, dial looking ones.

This is the temp gun I use and have used for years. There are digital stick on thermometers as well. Stick on ones don’t tell you exact temps in most cases. They also don’t tell you exact temps of the floor in the tank.

It’s in the cart and bought.

I use a similar gun to that one. I can’t remember the brand as I’ve had it for over 5 years and still works perfectly. I did purchase it from amazon though, for around 17$ or so.

I bought my temp gun for $16-$18. Prices for them have gone up a lot.

Hurray to inflation!

1 Like

Thanks you guys. I’m sure this is frustrating for you. I appreciate the help.

2 Likes