Rosy Boa Surprise

Most definitely not frustrating at all. This forum is to help people who seek it out, you’re doing good asking questions so don’t get discouraged.
You’re welcome and good luck and keep us informed with any more questions or concerns.

1 Like

Thank you. I’m sure there will be plenty more.

1 Like

If you find she doesn’t accept the next time you try to feed you can try this trick. I used it with my picky Rosy’s and it worked remarkably well.
Get a small brown rectangular paper bag. Place her in the bottom and cover her with some shredded paper towels or aspen( given her size I would recommend paper towels). Make sure she is buried under it. Place the pinky inside on top of the shredded towels. Create some tremors so she can feel the vibration, leave the pink inside and roll the top of the bag shut. Prior to all of that you can poke some air holes midway up the bag just to make sure there is air flow inside. Place her in her enclosure so she doesn’t escape by mistake and check on her in an hour. Most of the time it triggers a feeding response from my experiences.

For me the only way my rosy eats is if I move the heated pinky (98°F in warm water) to the side of her face. If it is just in front of her face she will just lick it, but right when it goes beside her face is when she strikes. It is like she thinks it is running away and is like “yoiNK”. :rofl:

1 Like

Both techniques are noted. Thank you.

I just peeked, the pinkie is still there.

Mmk, you guys were right about the gun. Her tank is in the high 70’s in the cool side and mid to high 80’s on the warm.

She seems particularly fond of the cool side.

Aww, she’s out exploring the tank! She’s so cute.

3 Likes

My rosy prefers being on the cool side in most cases whenever I use a UTH. Not unusual behavior there. Most of the time they will only use the warm side when digesting food. The cooler they are, the longer they can go without food and water. Just a survival strategy for desert dwellers.

2 Likes

I’m still waiting on the tank divider, should be here tomorrow. In the meantime, I have a question.

Every day during the 4 pm hour, she comes out and explores the tank. I talk to her, she freezes for a moment or two, then continues on. She usually does a full lap around the tank, just strolling through it. Is this a good sign/ what up with this behavior?

1 Like

That’s just her exploring her enclosure.
She could be looking for food, regulating her temperature, or just plain curious. They usually are active at night and will display that behavior then. Nothing to be worried about, that’s a good sign, Id be more concerned if she just lays in one spot constantly.

1 Like

Ok, so then should I still cut the tank size if she’s exploring?

I would until you get her to take 5-7 meals in a row. Once she is established feeding for you, you could gradually move her up in enclosure size. Some snakes don’t mind the extra room, but always good to get them eating consistently before alterations are made.

2 Likes

Y’ALL. SHE ATE!!

We found her out looking up at us with a “please feed me” look, so we heated up the thawed pinkie in some hot water and came at her from the side, not the front and did some dangles and shakes. She struck hard and took it real quick. We watched her strangle it and even mouth at it, but then she let go. We stepped back, gave her privacy, checked on her a bit and saw it halfway down her throat. Next we checked, it was gone. She’s now chilling on the heating pad side, digesting.

I’m so proud!!

Thanks for all the help!!

4 Likes