Rules on selling driftwood?

Hey, I was wondering fo there are any rules about selling driftwood (as the title says) I’ve collected a lot that I’ve used for my own enclosures, and I was wondering if there’s a way I can sell my extra wood. Obviously, I would clean and prepare the wood, but is there any certification that is required?
I probably wouldn’t be taking the wood outside of my state, and would probably be selling at local expos.
If this isn’t possible, I completely understand, but I’ve seen people selling driftwood at expos before, and was wondering how they got it.

6 Likes

I would assume that depends on state laws. What state are you in, someone else may live close and have an idea.

5 Likes

I’m in Tennessee.

5 Likes

I don’t have any info about the legality of selling driftwood, @indiflare but you’ve piqued my curiosity. Was your driftwood collected from rivers? I know that’s possible. I just tend to think of driftwood as an ocean thing.

5 Likes

I guess it’s not the kind of driftwood most would think of, I got mine from a river bed.

4 Likes

As someone who lives right by the ocean, I have the same perception, though I get the sense that when people talk about “driftwood” for enclosures, they’re really just referring to any smoothed-down hunk of wood that may or may not have been collected near some body of water. :joy:

4 Likes

Lol nothing wrong with that. The ironic part is that our property in Indiana growing up had a creek from which I collected a lot of driftwood. Our county bordered the Ohio River, from which I sometimes collected driftwood, too. Yet when someone says “driftwood,” my mind jumps straight to the stuff I now collect from the beach. Sometimes I’m just goofy. :brain: :laughing:

3 Likes

I grew up in Henderson KY, right on the Ohio River so I have memories of walking along the bank stepping over driftwood. Wow I can still “smell” that river………

2 Likes