“Runt” Corn Snake Hatchling Help

I recently hatched my first clutch of corn snakes, and most of them are thriving, but one is much smaller and less energetic than the others. A “runt” I guess. I actually thought it was dead shortly after hatching, but it has since perked up. However, it is the only one that hasn’t shed (all the rest shed a few days ago), and one of two that hasn’t eaten.

Is there anything I can do for this little one, or is it just not meant to thrive? I tried cutting a pinky in half and squeezing the head, but it wasn’t interested. I was hoping it would want to eat after shedding, but again, it hasn’t shed.

5 Likes

Ive had the same sort of problem. However the run in my clutch was the first one to hatch and shed However only 2 eggs hatched total in that clutch. Regarding your issue some babies just take a while to hatch and can also hatch with a higher metabolic rate. How long ago did it hatch and what is their weight. Both of the babies I had hatch were 8g and the runt was 4g.

5 Likes

It hatched on July 13th and weighs 5g. Its siblings are all around 9g. 100% of the clutch hatched, and most of them are eating well.

5 Likes

Mine hatched on june 27th and the larger one 28th. Ive only just gotten the larger one eating. Considering that they didnt hatch that long ago there shouldnt be any problems. Some people in here have even had some snakes not take food regularly for almost the first year of their lives. @solarserpents and @caryl should also be able to give you some good adivce!

5 Likes

Hmm, the not shedding is odd. Usually they shed within a week of hatching. 10 days is a long time for no first shed. Is there any possibility that you missed the shed? Does it look like it’s in blue currently? Does it look like it has a full body stuck shed? 5 grams is on the small side, but not ridiculously tiny. I’d probably give it a few more days to see if it sheds. In the meantime, you can keep it on damp paper towels.

7 Likes

I don’t think so, but I guess it could be possible. It doesn’t look like it’s in blue

5 Likes

i wouldn’t say 10 days is that long, I’ve got some doing the delayed shed thing right now, no one started until day 9.

6 Likes

Oh really? I’ve never had one go over 7 days. Usually it’s like day 4 or 5 for mine.

7 Likes

I’ve had one or two go as long as 10 days in the past. I’d keep it on damp towels or in damp moss for a couple more days. It’s possible to miss a shed for a tiny baby, so do check carefully.

Not being interested in food only 10 days after hatching is certainly nothing to worry about. 5 g isn’t super small, either. I would be inclined to mostly just keep it with a moist area as if it hasn’t shed, be sure it’s warm, and give it a couple more days to see if it sheds.

4 Likes

This was my first to go over 7-8 days, not sure why they chose to start later, but they seem just fine otherwise and all but one took a meal after.

5 Likes

UPDATE: 17 days after hatching, the “runt” baby finally shed! It hasn’t eaten yet, but I will try feeding it tomorrow. Im feeling a bit hopeful now.

5 Likes

Wow, that’s great! Hopefully it will be ready to eat.

4 Likes

I really hope so!

3 Likes

Glad you’re baby has shed! That’s a very encouraging sign. I hope it’s ready to feed when you offer. Fingers :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

The runt baby took a pinky! I think it’s going to make it!

6 Likes

Great news! Glad to hear it.

4 Likes

That’s excellent! So glad it ate for you.

4 Likes

Super awesome! I’m so happy that he ate for you.

3 Likes