Sable Gene in Crested Geckos

Gene Request Form

Please fill the below form out to the best of your ability. Answers do not need to be lengthy. If appropriate you may forward this request to someone who is more able to supply the answers.

Facts

Species: Crested Gecko
Name of Gene: Sable
First produced by whom: Cindy Olsen McDannell at Gecko Haven (Rialto)
Year First Produced: 2019
Genetics Type (Incdom/Codom/Recessive/Polygenic/etc): co-dominant, allelic with Cappuccino
In complex with other genes?: allelic with Cappuccino
Other names/aliases for it?: Sable is the only thing
Description: It suppresses less white pattern than the cappuccino gene, and features the same chromatophores (no red bases or yellow/orange bases)

Appearance; What it does/looks like? This is some of the features, but for now we know all of them are from Rialto, not from random appearances in pet stores.

• Head: White spots on head, often
  • Body: Pillowy white pattern (unless suppressed by another gene such as phantom)
  • Belly: Nothing in particular
  • Tail: The tip 1/3-1/2 is typically dark, unless Lilly is added then tail is not dark

Proven Lines: Only those from Rialto, all others must be proven
Related Genes: Cappuccino

Proven: To what degree it is proven out to not just be polygenic? It creates a super form with Sable (super sable) as well as with cappuccino (luwak)
Unique: Why do you believe this is a new morph and not an existing one? Extensive breeding in korea has proven this to be different. It is not cappuccino, because the Super capp Lilly white does (sorak) not look at all like super sable lilly (black legs and tail, lilly white body)

Problems: Any problems? Not that we are aware of
History: The history behind its discovery? Gecko haven produced the first ones, and Moomoosaurus in Korea worked with extensively
Disagreement or Controversy: Some say it’s cappuccino, but with the recent production of a super sable lilly, which looks VERY different than super capp lilly, it seems like the genes have differentiated themselves.
References here on the community: I am not sure about links in the community, I will look to find one if further reference is required.

• At least one link to community discussion (ie forums) to demonstrate community acceptance
  • Link to WOBP if one exists.
  • Links to the wider web.
    Please attach at least 3 photos you have rights to which you are granting to be used on MorphMarket, Including 1 image next to a Normal/WT animal

Can take some photos next to normal geckos, if needed!

3 Likes

Its on the way :wink:
Sable

1 Like

thanks friends! I spoke to John about it at Tinley, he said to submit this form so here I am :slight_smile: Appreciate you guys!

1 Like

No problem at all! :slightly_smiling_face:

Hello! Do you know if we will be able to Add the Sable tag to listings in for sale at any point? I was considering upgrading my account another notch if that will be the case soon! - Candice

2 Likes

Should be on the market within a week or so :wink:

1 Like