Sanitizing/Cleaning feeding tongs?

Hey guys, just curious to see how everyone cleans/sanitizes their feeding tongs that they use for their collection. Currently I wash them down with Dawn dish soap and spray them with Chlorhexadine. Recently bought 12% hydrogen peroxide and plan on using that to sanitize water dishes/feeding utensils every so often. Will start boiling the tongs as well. Bought a few more sets of tongs to use for a group of animals too that will be color coded. So what do you guys use?

Curious to see if anyone is as anal as this or not aha.

Edit: After speaking to some friends, it is indeed true that I am overly anal (surprise surprise) as it seems typically just washing/scrubbing with soap and spraying with listerine after seems to be the most common ways to clean them.

3 Likes

I am going to be honest, I haven’t ever cleaned my tongs before. I don’t even have chlorhexadine. I really believe that a lot of cleaning is way over complicated. Unless you have some issues that require serious disinfectant then dawn dish soap will work perfectly for most everything.

3 Likes

Appreciate the reply! Mine is definitely over the top, mix of working in the past with amphibian diseases and currently working in biopharm makes me a bit paranoid although I have no reason to be. Should probably tone it down a bit aha

3 Likes

I forgot to mention that a lot of my animals are amphibians and fish so I really worry about chemicals staying on and potentially causing something to happen to my animals. I just feel dawn is a safe, no worry compromise. I definitely think that over the top dissatisfaction is not a bad thing and definitely is a good way to prevent issues with reptiles

2 Likes

I have a very small collection so I just have a set of tongs per animal (2), but I think if I had more my main concerns would be: 1) seperate tongs for quarentining/new animals, and 2) seperate tongs for food types (F/T rodents v insects, etc)

2 Likes

I just make sure they’re surface clean, scrubbed a bit, and then washed with Chlorhex or even dawn dish soap is enough sometimes. Chlorhexidine is supposed to be safe to use around animals if rinsed off properly.

2 Likes

I just have 1 separate set of tongs for my quarantine snakes and 1 for my snake room snakes (who have already done quarantine and now in my snake room). I wash after each feeding separately with Dawn.

1 Like