Saving Hope the leopard gecko

Yesterday evening i was scrolling through the internet looking at reptiles as i normally do and i came across an ad with an extremely malnourished leopard gecko. She was apparently left at a family members house this way just by herself with no enclosure or anything. They told me her eyes have been stuck half open for quite some time and she has not been fed in a long time (clearly). The family member also had nothing to take care of this animal and told me i could not pick her up until the following night. I spend the entire time worrying and thinking about her hoping she would still be alive by the time i picked her up. Besides that all i was told is its a she and is about 3 to 4 years old. I got her home and everything has gone great so far. I tong fed her 4 wax worms dusted in calcium and she ate no problem. I also gave her a bath and she had a nice drink,her eyes have even already opened up! I hope she will pull through and i can get her good and healthy. The Last 2 pictures are from the ad before i got her. The rest is when shes in my care.

P.s - I renamed her Hope :innocent:

8 Likes

Aw, poor baby. I bet she will thrive for you. Definitely post progress pictures!

5 Likes

I really hope she does. And i will definitely post updates.

5 Likes

omg that poor baby. ;n;
definitely keep us updated. I’m glad she’s already gotten some food and water in with you. She still wants to fight =)

Some things I’ve picked up over the years working with these guys…
If she’s eating waxworms no problem, try to get her started on some small mealworms, small dubias or soldier fly larva. Small mealies and dubia because you don’t want to overstuff her with too much chitin too fast. The smaller ones aren’t as thick skinned. Waxies are just a bit too fatty and you want to be careful about how much of it she’s taking in. They also will sometimes be harder to get onto regular buggies. I jokingly used to call them fast food french fries for my leos.
One of the big issues I’ve seen with ones that are super skinny is they just don’t digest well. So as much as we wanna make them eat plenty, sometimes we need to take it slower. So if you see poop that looks like undigested food, ease her back a couple until she’s pooping better.
You can leave a little bottlecap with vitamins in with her and a second for calcium too.

5 Likes

Thank you i will be doing all those things. She will get a great variety of bugs. Will be crickets instead of dubias as i am in canada.

5 Likes

Oh! Same advice then! hahah. Smaller size to avoid those thick legs on those hoppers. Good luck!

5 Likes

Oh it’s hard to look at those pictures of that sweet precious baby! God bless you for taking her in! You have gotten great advice from @armiyana so you should be set with a regimen for her!

Hope is a very fitting name! :heart::pray: She is in good hands! :pray::heart::blush:

5 Likes

Thank you ao much! Is is hard to look at her but im glad she is now being given a chance to live. I love this community and how supportive it is :green_heart:

5 Likes

@eyeashleigh I am so glad you found each other, those photos of before you got her almost made me cry. We had a leopard gecko a long time ago and it’s hard to even fathom one looking as poorly as Hope did. Hugs to you. Keep us updated!

2 Likes

Thank you so much :heart:

2 Likes

I’m glad she’s in good hands now. I can’t wait to see the update with her progress in the upcoming months!

3 Likes

Oh my gosh, she’s just skin and bones, that poor thing. :worried: It’s hard for me to fathom how anyone can let an animal become that malnourished. Very glad she ended up with you, where she can finally get the love and care she deserves. I hope she pulls through. :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

Only 3 days in and i can already see a difference especially in her tail. I am so happy and amazed we are already seeing progress! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

Oh wow! Little Hope’s tail is filling out nicely! Great care job @eyeashleigh! What a lovely little sweet girl! :heart::pray:

2 Likes

Thank you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I had to take a picture and compare them i thought my eyes were playing tricks on me since i see her so much lol

2 Likes

Even her back legs are looking a little better! Great progress!

3 Likes

Yes they do look better! That poor little thing looked so pitiful! :disappointed: How can people be so cruel? :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Has Hope been making good progress? I hope she is thriving with you!

3 Likes

Yes she is up to a good weight now and thriving!

7 Likes

She went from 15 grams to now 50 grams :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes