Scales head ball python? Or something else?

So I have this little pastel girl. Is this scaleless head? It looks like it to me personally but she doesn’t have the split vent scale like they’re supposed to.

2 Likes

Not SH. Here are a few from mm

2 Likes

From what i have been seeing, i would say yours is not a scaleless. It looks to have all the scales from the pictures you posted. I was not able to see any missing. But i am not a scaleless expert.

1 Like

If you look at what @steelserpents has posted, you can clearly see missing scales.

Here are some of my friends also.

3 Likes

No. I agree not SH. SH is just that, a small patch on top of the head thats lacking scales. Similarly, MicroScale is a condition where the scales on top of the head are super small compared to normal scales. What i think im seeing, i’ve seen before on balls, carpets, green trees, burms, spotted and even my womas but i dont know the exact cause. Seems to be related to sheding. Sometimes a small patch or retained scales can give the same appearance. Could be a spot that was dryer when they shed or a spot that came in contact with a heat source prior to shedding. Either way, it usually goes back to normal looking after the next shed.

3 Likes

Great question but because of the non split ventral scale, and the fact that the scales are there just like @crouhselang said look that way probably related to shedding its not. I would just like to point out that @steelserpents showed the heads of excellent examples of the scaleless heads, they can also exhibit much less of the scaleless head in physical appearance maybe only missing a couple scales, very hard to see. That’s why most people agree to always have that split ventral scale as a definite id for the genes scaleless and microscale.

2 Likes

I agree on the not scaless head.
Double check the humidty and keep an eye on that one’s next shed. It’s most likely just from not quite shedding right as @crouhselang had said, but I have seen something a bit similar looking in situations where the animals were kept too humid as well. If it does seem to worsen before the next shed, then it could be a fungal infection.

I agree @banereptiles. It’s probably not retained shed but have seen a few that have resembled that with the retained shed. I also agree with @armiyana about the fungal suggestion. My tubs have a tendency to condensate quickly when an animal urinates in the back near the heat, i probably need beter ventalation in my own tubs. Thanks for bringing that up.

1 Like

That’s just scale damage from a less-than-perfect shed. She was just a bit dehydrated so the shed didn’t come off very smoothly, so it took off a small layer of scale with it. It’s not a big deal at all, it’ll fix itself next shed