SD Retic or Carpet

Experienced keeper that’s been away from the hobby for a few years. Looking for a medium sized, semi-arboreal python that is interactive and inquisitive, and very trustworthy with some training. Recently started thinking about taking the SD (Kalatoa) plunge from a trusted breeder. Had been all set to pull the trigger when I ran across an albino carpet, which then led me to looking at jungle carpets. When I was younger, high contrast jungles were big money and had the reputation of being unpredictable even as adults. I had an IJ for a spell and he was great but I’ve just been ruminating on a high contrast jungle. So, my questions are with selective breeding have things changed with jungles? Is there a way to determine whether a juvi will become a tractable adult? Should I just stick with the OG plan of a SD retic from a reputable breeder? No regerts :smile:i

6 Likes

I am biased towards any retic. I am going to say get a female retic I know they get bigger, but if you can handle a decent size boa female. A female decent percentage sd would not be hard. The only reason I suggest a female is, the temperament usually is less unpredictable during breeding season. I have a 6’ male sd and have never been bitten, and he is ok out of the cage but I could not totally trust him this season, just acting more sporadic then usual. And it seems like interacting with your snake is high in your list, mine too! On the other hand my mainland female14’ is a dream to handle all the time, same with my little 7 foot jag female. I know there are awesome gentle males as well, this is just my experience with mature retics I have raised as hatchlings. A retic won’t disappoint you for handling!

4 Likes

I’d go for the retic, but that’s purely personal preference for me. I’ve always adored retics and plan to get a Kalatoa within the next few years. Carpets are beautiful, but for some reason just don’t really “speak” to me. My best, most unbiased advice is to get whatever species calls to you the loudest. Or get one of each!

3 Likes

I think you would be good with either one. Be sure when you get them from a breeder that the animals temperament is very important to you. A good breeder should be able to help you find the right animal. It’s probably more important to get exactly the right individual of either species, and it is to lean towards one species or the other, if you want the brightest color as a priority, the jungle carpet python will probably suit you better, unless you get into a morph with the Superdwarf. But if you, place a higher priority on interactive personalities, or intelligence, then I’d lean towards the SD. Lori Torrini has some excellent videos with both species on her YouTube channel, where she explores animal behavior sciences. Might be good to watch, and ask her opinion (she doesn’t sell either). Good luck!

6 Likes

Cant beat Morelia Spliota…except maybe Morelia Bredli, still cant go wrong with any of the morelia complex, bredli are especially bulletproof and beautiful, ive never kept retics but love my morelia spilota.

1 Like

It’s a solid win either way. Babies of both can be flighty and nippy but with regular work both make amazing adults

4 Likes

I’ve kept many different boas and pythons over the last 3 decades, including retics (but never a dwarf), and about 15 years ago I came to realize that carpet pythons are the snake for me and have kept them almost exclusively. I love building enclosures for them and few things brings me as much joy as going into my office and seeing my carpets hanging out on their perches looking beautiful. I’m obviously biased, but really you cannot go wrong between those two choices, either way you are going to end up with one of nature’s most beautiful creatures! Just be sure to share some photos once you make a decision :slight_smile:

3 Likes