Setup questions

Can you make a bioactive setup without live plants? I had one live plant in my crested gecko’s bioactive enclosure, but he killed it, so do I have to get another one for the bioactive part to work?

1 Like

I don’t believe you do. The bioactive part of just great for plants.

What plant did your Crestie destroy?

1 Like

i love bioactives but im not so great with plants, so i just use lots of natural looking cork bark, moss, leaf litter, ect. Still looks nice and keeps my clean up crews productive! its the clean up crew that does the majority of the work for us.

2 Likes

A parlor palm

Ha :joy: yeah, a few of my Cresties destroyed those, they don’t hold the Cresties weight and they haven’t done too well in my Cresties enclosures.

If you do want a plant I have found these plants to be super easy to care for, great in price and loved by my Cresties:

• Dwarf Umbrella Tree (Schefflera Arboricola)
  • Weeping Fig (Ficus Benjamina)
  • Dragon Tree (Dracaena Fragrans)
  • Violet Inch Plant (Tradescantia Zebrina) - trailing plant
  • Garden Croton (Codiaeum Variegatum)

But I don’t think you need a live plant in the enclosure for the bio-active part to work, it’s just better oxygen and enrichment for the Crestie.

1 Like

Thanks! I’m planning to upgrade him to a 36" height 36" length 24" width pvc, so I’ll definately use those when I get that!

Cresties are a pain for destroying plants. How a lot of ours have survived I don’t know!
Even the big brom with the Lily and red is now squashed!! It did hold their weight and as they grew they flattened it :woman_facepalming:t2::joy:
I swear once your happy and love how the viv looks they find a way to ruin it :upside_down_face::rofl:

1 Like

Yep! I made a beautiful bioactive enclosure with sterilized rocks and sticks from outside, and he flattened it in a week :joy:

Are pothos to weak for cresties?

They certainly take pride in destroying our work :grin: I have a pothos plant with a climbing stick that the Cresties use when I’m cleaning them out and it seems great, but I haven’t put one in the enclosure yet as I’ve just taken a cutting to grow for an enclosure.

I let them jump to it, I’ve heard others say they are great but they need something to cling too.

Here is a pic of one of my males using it to help you see on sturdiness

2 Likes

Pothos is so far doing fine in ours! We have it in with our panther Chameleon also and doing well! :blush:

3 Likes

Pothos is what I use in my terrarium, it’s works great and now I have 3 in the terrarium.

2 Likes