Sexing crested geckos

I am planning on cohabitating these two geckos and I just wanted to make sure that they both aren’t males.
Supposed Male

Supposed female, I don’t know if sexing “her” will be possible because of the screen.

2 Likes

They both have spurs, but I’ve heard that isn’t really very accurate. It sort of looks like they both have a ‘bulge,’ but I’m not sure. Experienced people can see pores on males, I think by using the shininess of the scales, but I can’t seem to master it. I hope someone more knowledgeable than me will come by- this is great stuff to know!

1 Like

All crested geckos have spurs.

3 Likes

I’d try a picture from the side, as it’s hard to tell from this angle.

But yes, all crested geckos have spurs

1 Like

This is the best I can get as of now of the supposed male.

He definitely looks like a boy to me, the hemipenal bulge is pretty obvious compared to a female

3 Likes

I agree, that’s a male.

2 Likes

Thank you both, I will post pictures of the supposed female when she is in a good position to take them.

2 Likes

Took a little while but I got a picture, she looks like a female but I just want to double check before I cohabitate.

Looks like a female to me, there isn’t much of a pronounced bulb like on the male.

How many grams is the gecko? That is what I need to know first. Also keep in mind when cohabing them there is a chance there will be aggression even if you have a male and female. There is also a stronger chance they will drop their tails when kept together.

The male is about 1.5 years old and the female is 2 years old, I don’t know their exact weight but they’re a good size for their age. I understand all of the risks associated with cohabitation and I’ve decided to do it.

1 Like