Sexing / Gender help

Hi all,
I’ve recently purchased an Axanthic Anaconda Hognose sold as a female, CB22.
After handling today I check the tail and am now concerned she might be a he?
Any help would be greatly appreciated- it’s my first Hognose! Currently weighs 18g if that helps.

7 Likes

I’d say female x

7 Likes

As would I. It looks female based on length.

7 Likes

Perfect thanks everyone! :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Hey Luke! Welcome to the forum! So glad your female turned out to be a female! And she’s a very nice female at that! Don’t be a stranger! It’s a lot of learning here but also a lot of fun! :sunglasses::blush::+1:

6 Likes

9 Likes

Gonna have to disagree with @ghoulishcresties & @lumpy and say I think it’s a male. Usually if it’s a female, you’ll have less than 38 scale pairs after the cloaca. While you might have a long-tailed female, the count points male. I’d suggest a shed DNA test on this one.

9 Likes

Thanks everyone for your help. I’ve tried getting some different angles which I’ll attach here. Looks more like the male tail in that above photo to me,

with the length & 40+ scale count.
Was really hoping for a female for the size, but this little one has a lovely temperament and is a great eater so I can’t complain.

6 Likes

Yeah, those new photos show the taper a bit better and I’m definitely seeing male. If you want to be sure, there’s always RGI, sometimes nature throws a surprise at you. A bummer it’s not what you were expecting, but you’ve got a beauty!

4 Likes

That’s been my suspicion since I brought her/him home. Think I will send the shed once I get one

5 Likes

There is just enough taper that I would probe, or dna sex, to be 100% but with the age/small size and overall tail shape I agree that is male. He’s super cute!

6 Likes

6 Likes

That looks like a happy hoggie!

3 Likes

Super pleased with him/her. Really lovely docile little snake (expect when it’s feeding time!)

3 Likes

Sounds like a typical well adjusted hognose. Content until the snacks come out, then best to keep the fingers out of the way. :joy:

4 Likes

Update: So after purchasing an RGI shed test, I realised I can’t internationally ship snake shed from here in the UK. Instead I took the snake back to the shop for probing- turns out she is definitely a he.
Super gutted and disappointed, really wanted a female for the size.

5 Likes

You may not be able to, but there is a shipping company working with Cltch to send sheds from the UK to US for testing, you could try contacting them so you can still get the test you purchased done as a failsafe on the probing (though I’m sure they’re not wrong). I’m sorry to hear you didn’t end up with the sex you wanted, it’s always a bit of a letdown. On the up side, you’re much better versed in sexing hognoses now, so if you do decide to go for that female, you’ll have an easier time verifying.

4 Likes