Should I be worried? Hog not gaining weight

I was wondering if I should be worried or not doing something right for my male hognose (Pancakes) to not gain weight in the month I’ve had him.

He eats every time I’ve offered him food (every 5 days), but he hasn’t gained anything.

On the flip side, the female (Nuggets) has gained 1g in the 2 weeks I’ve had her (also eating every 5 days).

Is that the difference between males and females? Am I just overthinking it? Any insight would be appreciated.

Additional information:

Pancakes (M)
Hatched Aug 2023
Got him 3/20 @ 12g
Current weight: 12g
Currently eating: 1 f/t pinky (~1.5g)

Nuggets (F)
Hatched Feb 2023
Got her 4/6 @ 25g
Current weight: 26g
Currently eating: 1 f/t fuzzy (~5g)

Yes, both are quarantined away from each other and I only weighed Nuggets because I thought I was possibly doing something wrong with him compared to her.

They’re on the same feeding schedule (eating on the same days and, coincidentally, pooping 2 days later).

4 Likes

Depends on the hereditary size. If it was from smaller genetics it might stay smaller and grow slower. Go ahead and bump it to to feeding every 4 days for that one and see if you get results.

4 Likes

My little 16g dude is the same as yours. I don’t think it’s anything to worry about. I’m keeping an eye on him but i haven’t seen anything concerning.

2 Likes

Yeah, if they’re eating consistently, then you’re in good shape. And increasing the feeding schedule is a good way to go.

A light dusting of supplement powder now and then couldn’t hurt either at that age. I’ve never seen any real research on this, but anecdotally, small pinkies can be a little hit or miss with how nutritious they are. Rodents develop so fast that the nutritional difference between a pinkie frozen at 2 days old versus 4 days old could be more significant than we think. Likewise with pinkies who were frozen right after nursing versus ones who hadn’t nursed in an hour and have nothing in their digestive tracts.

Anyway, point is, if your baby hogs are eating, all is well and the weight will come.

1 Like