Should I be worried?

I have two leopard geckos that arent eating their shedding I’ve never had this happen before so I’m wondering if its normal or should I be worried and getting them to a vet??

Just to clarify, they aren’t eating their shed? Or they aren’t eating at all?

Not all geckos eat their shed, I’ve seen a lot of them do - but I’ve also seen some not.

They are not eating their shed but are eating regular food they are fully grown but it seems like they are shedding more often or maybe it seems that way since they aren’t eating it

What are you currently feeding them? How old/heavy are they? How many leopard geckos do you have? If you only have those two then it could be a problem but if it’s only two out of a larger collection then I wouldn’t worry. As long as they are still eating and are keeping a healthy body condition then I wouldn’t worry about them.

2 Likes

I have 9 right now its just those two ones little over 99 grams and the other is a little over 63 grams

Oh and they eat crickets because I’m not hand feeding them mealworms because that’s the only way they will eat them spoiled brats lol

Can you add a picture of them?

Sorry about the last photo I didn’t wipe it down when I put water in and it splashed the side of the tank and they are shedding at least twice a month now?

Are they being housed together? Are there any other geckos close to them? If they are housed together and they’re both showing the weird behavior I would recommend a specialized herp vet and a fecal test for parasites.

2 Likes

I don’t know what the issue is, but I know that vitamin A deficiency can cause shedding problems. What are you feeding and how do you gutload & supplement?

3 Likes

Also whats sex of them both? I see a mark on the white ones back?

1 Like

One male one female gut load crickets with a calcium vitamin drops in water

And the spot on his back is that a black spot

Are you letting the crickets roam free in the enclosure? It also looks like you have lose substrate, which isn’t something I would recommend unless you tong feed only.

1 Like

Its eco earth which is a coconut fiber base substrate I was told it was okay for them to use by a vet and other’s and yes the crickets roam free they dont like being tong fed

Loose substrate is not safe if you don’t tong feed, as it gives a high chance for impaction. Crickets should never be allowed to roam free unless they eat every single one right away. Since I see one on a branch in one of the pictures, that clearly isn’t the case. Crickets can eat your geckos and do a lot of damage to them while they sleep. I would guess that if the spot on the albino isn’t dirt, it is likely a spot from being gnawed on by a cricket. @mblaney can tell you more if needed.

1 Like

For the last time the spot on his back is just that a spot nothing more

Looks like a mark, scar even. He also has an overbite doesn’t he? Can that be passed on when breeding? Leopards aren’t my expertise!

Any leo with a physical deformity should not be bred. I am pretty sure overbites can be passed down, though most don’t breed ones with overbites. All the ones with overbites I have seen for sale have been pet only. In other words, housing these 2 together should not be done.

3 Likes

Okay so here is a fresh start

First off my original question was should I be concern that they aren’t eating their shedding?

Details:
Environment:
Substrate is a coconut fiber based eco earth that has been cleared by the vet because if they do ingest it it will not cause any impaction just be more fiber

Temperature: hot side ranges from 84 to 90 cool side is 75 to 80

Hides on both sides and things to climb on

Diet:

Usually crickets you see crickets in the photos because I just got done feeding them and hadn’t taken the extras out we are trying mealworms and darkling beetles because they seem to like them a lot

Appearances

They have not lost any weight
Her tail is a regrown tail because previous owners kid abused her
He has random spots the one on his back is just that a weird spot but it is a spot and nothing else he even has a bigger one on the side of his neck

Again my question is should I be worried that they arent eating their shedding even though everything else is normal and fine??