Show Me Your First Reptile, And The Holdback You Kept From Them

I had reptiles when younger for a bit, BUT.
My first ever Reptile as an adult living alone with my family was Kaneki my Crestie! His son was the first Crestie I ever held back at all! (Now have 3 holdbacks) but he was the first ever holdback as never wanted to keep any until him.
So here is Kaneki, he’s now 4, and KJ his son who is 17 months now. :blush:
Show me your first ever Reptile and the holdback you kept from them! :heart_eyes:
(If not got them anymore I will take another parent and baby) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

This is picture of my first ball python, Phoenix, taken on the day I brought him home (eight and a half year ago now I think?). It happens to be one of the only 3 pictures I have of him, because he was horribly defensive and took any and every opportunity to strike at my face. Due to his inherent lack of any worthwhile qualities, he was never bred, and instead rehomed several years later to someone who didn’t mind dealing with his attitude.

1 Like

I don’t have my 1st ever reptile yet but its almost guaranteed to be either an Uromastyx geyri or Uromastyx ornata. (At first for awhile I thought it would be a corn snake). I really want my lizard already so I can truly be part of the community here instead of being a “fraud” of sorts.

4 Likes

lol :rofl: your not a ¨fraud of sorts¨ Everyone is welcome. Also, I don’t have lizards but I love my corn snakes!

2 Likes

Although they look cute you can never be too careful :sweat_smile:
Like butter wouldn’t melt, how would that lovely boy want to hurt anyone… :pensive: Totally get it though, I’ve seen those fangs…
We had a big ol female, Pastel black pastel, she went last year along with the others, but my gosh she was hissy and always moody! I wouldn’t do the feeding with her and I’d leave her be and not go near her unless giving her water quickly!
Well the other half was feeding her one day, and he was holding the rat, went to move to rearrange it with the tongs, and she struck and got his leg!
I’m thankful the only Royal we have now who was hissy and a grump to start with is lovely now… Though I’ll be honest, I still worry I’m gonna get bit one day! :grimacing:

Oooh I’ll be awaiting the images you post when you decide on which! Any preference? They’re stunning Lizards :blush:

1 Like

Well my first pet reptile is Kai ( boa constrictor )
But because of his kink, I will never breed him. Also sadly he is my only snake or reptile at this time, hopefully this is changing soon. I hope to invest quite a chunk of money in to breeding animals (boas) :joy:. If it happens I will repost my first breedable boa, and then it is 4-5 years until I might have a holdback, so until then here a pic of Kai

4 Likes

My first is Delta here. Once she’s big enough I’ll be breeding her to my banana piebald male.

She’s finally hitting 1000 grams, after having her for almost 3 years (August 12th of 2018 is when I got her!)
Been a slow and steady grower so I’m hoping she’ll put on the rest of her weight and size by next season!

2 Likes

I don’t have any photo’s of my first reptile, a corn snake I had over 20 years ago. But, this is my girl Cera. I’ve had her for just over 10 years now. No offspring as she was always just a pet

For hognose, this was my first one. I have many of her offspring and their offspring… actually I have a clutch from her daughter due to hatch in 20 days :slight_smile: and another in 27 days

3 Likes

Not sure. I hope to get the real brightly colored red/yellow geyri and already have a few name ideas. (Sunfire, Magma, Lava, Blaine (from pokemon) for a bright red or Sunshine, Spark, Surge, Thunder for a bright yellow to name a few for each) Thinking either color if just the 1 or a pair perhaps of either color in a ♂♀ or ♂♂ combo. For U. Ornata I’d like a bright handsome male if just 1 or a ♂♀ pair. I’m unsure on names for an ornata though.

I was thinking of my 1st herp beinga corn snake at first but switched to Uros because their so cute and their diet would be easier for me to deal with then having to get rodents for food. Between the restrictions imposed by my jurisdiction and combined with the fact that I have 0 pet interest in pythons, boas and geckos entirely I feel a bit boxed in on options.

1 Like

Uromastyx are wicked, easily among my favoritet pet lizards. We had a yellow Mali Uro for about seven years, he was an import, this was back 2002-2009. I miss him. We’ve been waiting for the right ones to buy for a few years now, I think we’re going to have to import them from Europe to start a breeding colony.

1 Like

I didnt even know Uros existed until 2013. I find I seem to like agamids for some weird reason. I like beardies too but like Uros (at least certain species of em) better.

As with mammals theres a lot of species I like but cannot ever have with reptiles. I wish I had a way to immerse myself among all my fav mammal and herp species and form a zoo of sorts in which I too play a specimen representing my species. After all I am simply just another species of the mammalian class of the animal kingdom. I’m not any more/less special than any other creature I share this life with.

I was hoping to aim for buying myself an uro or 2 as a lil b-day present to myself this year. I dunno if that will work now though. I hope the Ontario government (im from Toronto ontario Canada) doesn’t decide to block me from having a uro once I finally get in position to get one. Otherwise I might never end up with a herp of my own outside of maybe a corn snake.

1 Like