Show us your 2022/2023 holdbacks

Show us your 2022 2023 holdbacks.

here are My 2022 females. things change though-
This one took 5 months of assist feeding but is a pig strike feeding now.

7 Likes

The last three years I’ve been killing myself with holdbacks trying to upgrade the quality of babies I can produce. It pains me to think of the years and feed bill to get eggs from a female holdback. Also I had to sell already producing fewer gene adult females to make room so very few clutches the last couple years. But I just can’t seem to help myself. My only hope is that this will be the year genetic testing will become available in time to reduce my number of holdbacks before I have them mostly grown up.

I know, stop whining. Some of them are pretty to look at at least.

I have 5 sisters and half sisters possible possible het monsoon. Two are cinnamon hypo, two just het hypo, and one possible het hypo and pied.

Worse yet 8 sisters and half sisters possible het desert ghost. Chocolate Enchi pastel yb scattered among them. All are also possible het VPI axanthic and four are also possible het clown. Really hoping a test for het desert ghost comes out soon as I would probably only keep the het dg.

Hopefully I can narrow down to fewer keepers in 2023.

4 Likes

Update picture on one of my holdbacks.
Original picture fresh from the egg-----

Current picture 330g, she held her colour well. If anything I prefer the richer oranges and yellows.

I had to assist feed for so long but it was worth it, now she eats anything and always.
Lets see yours too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Here is a 2022 Enchi girl I had to assist feed for quite a while that recently came around. Going to try incubating a little cooler this year just in case that helps. Anxiously waiting a test to see if she is het desert ghost (or clown). Sounds like a VPI axanthic test is even further off.

3 Likes

You too huh?
Glad to see someone else thinks its worth the work to turn a good hatchling into a holdback.

I too want to try a few degrees less incubation temps this time too.
Whats the worst that can happen, we wait a few more days.
At best any inaccuracies in temperatures wont be too hot and cause problems.
There are some good discussions here about the benefits of slightly lower incubation temperatures.
One of many:-

1 Like

My 3 holdbacks for 2022 are an 1.0 Orange Dream Clown, a 0.1 Black Pastel YB het Clown, and a 1.0 Spotnose Fire Redstripe Clown.

9 Likes

All awesome
whats making the last one so clean? never really seen one like that.

2 Likes

Fire + Spotnose does a lot of work in Clown. Hatched a few of those last year. Looks like the Red Stripe kicks it up a bit too.

Everything in that snake is working together perfectly. Incredibly nice snake!

2 Likes

Love the 3rd one it is amazing!

2 Likes

The Fire + Spotnose really starts cleaning it up. I’ll be honest, I am not sure exactly why this boy is so clean. It almost looks like there could be an enchi type of influence but there isn’t any present in the animals, that I am aware. The pairing was a 1.0 Fire Red Stripe het Clown X 0.1 Spotnose Clown. This is the first clutch with the male and second clutch with the female. None of the other hatchlings had this look. I hope when I eventually breed him, he will reveal his secret. Here is a pic of the whole clutch and yes, I did actually hit a normal.

3 Likes

Awesome love the one far keft and right above that as well just amazing!

1 Like

Thanks. Those are both Fire Red Stripe Het Clown males.

1 Like

Red Stripe definitely gets it’s recognition in the hobby/industry in Clowns, but people are really still sleeping on how good it shines in lots of other combos!

Definitely could be more going on since the two Fire RS are so different. What do the two parents look like? Any suspected YB or Enchi?

Here’s my Fire Spotnose Clowns (het Hypo) that I hatched late 2022 for comparison

5 Likes

Their so funky looking! I love it!

1 Like

Thanks Crypt. Your animals are beautiful as well. I would appreciate you investigating this a little further since you are working with the same genes. However, I do not want to hijack this thread any further since it is supposed to be about Holdbacks. I had already started a thread about the boy in question and so I’d like to continue this discussion there. Here is the link. Update on Sir Fang - #11 by bunkin316

2 Likes