Shy Dart Frogs

Hi there,

I have 2 Dendrobates tinctoruis azureus in this exoterra 45x45x45. I have had them for around 2 months but they still seem very shy and I very rarely see them (once or twice a week) I recently added a fogger to see if this will help increase humidity and so they come out more, but does anyone have any other recommendations to make them more active (although I do understand that dart frogs are generally quite shy)?

Thanks,
Tom

2 Likes

I would say more coverage from the light source. Give them a lot of places to run to and hide. That is one thing that I know about darts…they love secure places where they feel they can get to in a pinch.

4 Likes

That is a very nice looking enclosure! :+1::frog:

If I might ask, what fogger are you using? I’ll need one for future projects.

2 Likes

Some frogs can be VERY shy.
Infact Tincs are one of those where it’s hit or miss
I’ve found. When we had them they were very bold and always out. Yet someone we knew rarely saw and had them for a long time.

Give it time, hopefully they’ll get better x

3 Likes

I second the clutter advice from Lumpy. Maybe with a bit more, you’ll see them come out and hang out inside or on more foliage. Very cool enclosure though, and I love the fogger!

1 Like

It’s the lucky reptile one - I recommend but it is annoying to install as you have to cut a massive hole in the wire mesh

3 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes