Sick snake help please

Absolutely horrible !!

5 Likes

Yes that is so true. I have such compassion for animals that I forget about the “human” aspect. Hopefully the owners will have the money to pay the vet bill for whatever the snake needs to recover if it’s not too late. This really could be devastating to the child as you said @noodlehaus

6 Likes

Needs to be hospitalized. Impossible that this happened within a week’s time, 0% chance. Honestly, letting an animal get to this point warrants criminal charges for animal neglect. No excuse for this, totally depraved.

10 Likes

Here in the UK pet shops are usually much better with care. For one of my local pet shops people working there have to train for a year and take an exam before they can actually start working and they have seperate workers for mammals fish and reptiles. They also keep track of feeding and wont sell any non feeding snakes. I bought a snake from there once and they even gave me his feeding record. IMO this should be the standard for all pet shops so it can help prevent the issue this poor snake is going through.

10 Likes

Looks like very high heat for extended time. The pad not controlled and with sand, would have made the sand very hot. Then add the lamp, it had to be well over 100 in there.
With the mouth open and body shape, I would say it won’t make it and probably already passed.
The mouth open is a sign of over heated and the skin definitely looks like it.
These conditions, it is very possible this happened in a week. Extream het, dehydrated, and I am guessing still in the same setup. There is no chance for survival, sorry to say.

8 Likes

Totally disagree. The snake is emaciated and dehydrated, that doesn’t happen in a week. Definitely happened over the course of months at the least. I’m even going to pull the ‘I am a veterinarian’ card here. No chance. Owners are afraid/ashamed to admit long-term neglect (virtually all of them) and will claim the issue has only happened within the last 1-2 weeks. Very very common. The owner is very unlikely to crack and tell the truth. That said, if the snake was truly purchased recently, (1) the seller was the one neglecting the snake and should be charged and (2) the owners are extremely stupid. It doesn’t take any education or familiarity with reptiles to see that the poor thing is dying. As said earlier:

If this is an indication that they are trying to say they bought this animal from Petco within the last week, that’s absolutely a lie. Even the worst Petcos won’t put annimals in that condition out front to sell, and the few I’ve been involved with do take sick animals to a vet.

Also disagree about being hopeless to treat. With aggressive treatment and hospitalization, there may be a chance. Given the situation and low the likelihood of receiving that kind of intensive care, then there’s no chance of survival. It sounds like relinquishing the snake to a rescue that can handle the costs of either treatment or euthanasia would be the way to go here, just as previously suggested. Just so the owners know- most veterinarians will euthanize-only for reduced costs or even for free. (So, no cremation- they would most likely have to take the remains home with them.) I would only go to a reptile veterinarian for euthanasia, most small animal or mixed animal veterinarians don’t know how to humanely euthanize reptile properly.

Dudes I can’t spell or adhere to basic grammar. Thus all the edits. :woman_facepalming:

11 Likes

Thank you @mblaney :+1:

6 Likes

Thank you again @mblaney :+1:

6 Likes

I’ve had a hard time even looking at those pictures of the snake…
I’ve also started writing on multiple occasions and erased it all.
Disgusting treatment and neglect as @mblaney wrote. How can anyone leave an animal in conditions like that. Watching an animal decline like that is criminal.
Tell me that they had no idea how to care for a snake with a ton of information available on the net. I’ve got a lot more I’d like to write but those words will only get me in trouble here.

6 Likes

Poor thing… Absolutely needs a vet ASAP.

Probably needs a new owner as well. People treat animals that aren’t cats or dogs like houseplants or something. Even birds and rodents. They just buy them, and take care of them based on assumptions.

7 Likes

Yea and some people will also get a snake thinking its “cool” and then neglect it and not gove it proper care. Its honestly sad and disgusting what some people can do to animals.

7 Likes

So last pic when she brought it?

What the hell have they done!!!
If you can get it off them and get to a vet! I found they’re going to help it if they don’t even know what they’ve done to that poor baby!

7 Likes

Also not sure if they did this intentionally but the person in the picture is wearing a top saying are you alright while holding a snake on its way to death… IMO I think thats just disgusting

5 Likes

I’m pretty sure it’s a bands merch but definitely agree. I feel like common sense should’ve come into play here, no way they let it get this bad and didn’t think to do something about it.

5 Likes

IMO they should never be allowed to own another animal at all !!

5 Likes

Yea something like this takes time and would have been visible as it deteriorated and they only chose to say something now

5 Likes

Thank you @buckeyeballs Very well said! I flip flop with my hard feelings toward the people and I cannot look at the pictures anymore. Once was enough. The simple fact is we will never know the truth about what happened and I am willing to bet that this snake is no longer alive. It probably died shortly after the picture was taken, if it was even alive then. Why did the owner even attempt to buy a rat for it seeing the morbid shape it was in??? I just can’t wrap my head around this at all………

5 Likes

I think the term for this is: “Throw away animals”……….:disappointed:

Edit: I meant “Pets”

6 Likes

I also keep fish, it’s mind-boggling how many fish (mainly goldies and bettas) get bought on a whim and thrown into a tiny uncycled tank with little filtration. They usually last a few weeks, and then people go and buy a replacement. I imagine that well over a million die that way every year. It’s even worse with hamsters and budgies, I can’t imagine that very many live more than a year or so.

8 Likes

“What do you mean goldfish get to over 8inches and need at least 40 gallons? They only live like a year.”

I used to have a large number of people come looking for me during a holiday where goldfish are used for luck. It was because apparently my brief weeklong care advice and suggestions to move them to their pond or a friend’s pond after had meant for some good luck. They had no idea goldfish could be as pretty or large.

9 Likes