Signs that a ball python is about to lay eggs?

Hello! I have a female Mojave Vanilla Cream who is due to lay my very first clutch of eggs in less than a week and I was curious to know if there were signs to look for when a ball python is about to lay. Here’s a picture of her that I took earlier today:

She was laying kinda weird at the time the photo was taken but she has been laying in a perfect coil on the hot side for over a week now and had her prelay shed on February 10th. I’m so excited, I can’t wait to get my first clutch! She was bred to 2 males, a Pastel possible chocolate Desert Ghost and a Firefly Butter Enchi.

5 Likes

Congrats!!!

1 Like

Thank you!

The average between pre-lay and egg laying is usually 30 days now it is an average some female can go quite longer, I have had female going 45 and 50 days POS.

A good sign is how they are coiled if they are coiled tail in it is imminent usually within 48 hours in my experience.

3 Likes

I’ve also heard that you can tell they are gravid or going to lay if they look like they are coiled uncomfortably? I personally have not observed this but does this have any weight to the claim? I haven’t observed how they act when they are gravid because I dont really mess with them during that time so maybe I just missed this behavior

1 Like

Nice I might have the same combo soon

1 Like

Yup, they go when they are ready and not when you are! She has been coiled with her tail in the middle for a few days now so I wouldn’t be surprised if she had them pretty soon, but I’m trying to be patient and not get too excited lol

1 Like

Well she certainly seems uncomfortable right now, so I wouldn’t be surprised! Here’s how she is laying right now:

3 Likes

Nice! Good luck!

She certainly does look uncomfortable right there in the pic. Her belly is kinda pointed up rather than level with the tub

1 Like

Yeah, she went back to laying normally not long after I took that picture lol. Apparently she likes to lay in weird positions when I try to take pictures of her

This is a useful guide…

1 Like

Thank you, it is a useful guide!

1 Like