Small bubbles on face…

If she were a corn snake, I’d bump her temps up a couple of degrees until she could get to a vet. Gonna holler for some boa people. @lumpy, @westridge, @eaglereptiles, @tommccarthy, what say you?

6 Likes

Caryl, is spot on.
I’m not a vet and would not feel comfortable diagnosing from these pictures alone.

One little thing to try though is to filter the water you are giving her and see if it continues, you may just have “filmy” water in your neck of the woods, which antibiotics isn’t going to help.

But, a vet visit should still be sought out.

8 Likes

I never thought of the water. My other snakes and lizards are all doing well so I’m hoping it’s not that but who knows.

6 Likes

What a beautiful girl! Hopefully she’s not in pain :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Thank you! She is one of my favorites, such a sweetie too.

5 Likes

Aaaawwwww! Poor baby! She is a very pretty girl! I know her condition worries you but you caught it quickly. I use bottled water because we only have a water softener.

Sending best wishes for a speedy recovery! :snake::frog::lizard::blush:

5 Likes

More than likely, she has an RI problem.
When boas finally show RI problems, they have had it for some time as their metabolism is slow. So when you see bubbles coming out of the nose or mouth, they have had the problem for some time now.

You should take her to see the veterinarian. She will need medication for the RI.

Bump up the heat in the cage a little. Don’t go over 92 degrees. This will help until you can her the veterinarian.

You could be stressing her out with the breeding. This will cause her immune system to be compromised. You should also check the male you had with her. Keep an eye out for an RI problem with him. He may not be showing signs of it yet.

Here is a link to my care sheet page of my website.

http://www.mccarthyboas.com/Home_Treatments.html

9 Likes

Thank you as always! I’ll be scheduling a visit tomorrow. I separated them and have the hotspot to 92.

3 Likes

So she has different water now and there are no bubbles yesterday or this morning. Could this have just been crappy well water? I also took the male out and her hotspot is 92. I haven’t been able to get into the vet yet.

5 Likes

I would still plan a vet visit. A lot of the times boas will avoid water thats out to many days, I change ours every few days. Id wager its a type of infection.

6 Likes

Agreed- 100% think you need a vet visit. Make sure your vet knows you bred her- any drugs used may affect any embryos, and her body will be under more stress if there was a successful copulation. Also make sure the vet knows she was just in with another snake. Until you have seen a vet and they have resolved any issues and given her a clean bill of health, I would keep her and the male isolated from any other snakes.

Below you will find a link to a thread that may help you find an exotics veterinarian.

5 Likes

I’m going to add my agreement that she still needs a vet visit. Reptiles are notorious for hiding problems, and you said that the bubbles are very small and don’t seem to be there all the time. If there is a problem, it’s much more easily addressed early. More successfully treated, more easily treated, less expensively treated. And even if it turns out to be nothing, at this point it would be worth it to know that for sure.

5 Likes

Thank you everyone! She is going to the vet on Monday. I have them both separated and temps high, the vet is awesome though they have helped a few of my exotics in the past. I’m really hoping she is fine and that she does have some healthy babies. I’m fairly sure they copulated but I’m not convinced she ovulated yet.

4 Likes

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for her!

Caron. :heart::lizard::frog::snake::blush:

2 Likes

I def recommend using at least filtered (like Brita or something) water especially with well water. This is just coming from what I know about well water more than keeping lol. Microbes that may not harm us could be a new thing for animals that come from far away places, and well water in particular can have miniscule stuff.

Or it may just be an overabundance of minerals having some negative effect, even leading to RI or other stuff.

(Personally, and I don’t exactly recommend this extreme in it’s entirety, but I’m a paranoid neurotic and any bowl of water I use reverse osmosis filtered, bottled water. Spray I use Brita filtered. I also don’t use sticks/rocks from outside unless boiled or something, even spraying with chlorhexidine anything that goes into a cage/tub. I’m overboard, but hey - no issues, big small or weird lol.)

2 Likes

I’ll be using filtered for now on. I don’t know what could have caused this but my male is also going to the vet he is raspy today. Something tells me they both have an RI. My temps and humidity are dialed in.

3 Likes

Well my male is getting some injections, he sounds horrible now, and I’m going to try a nebulizer with antibiotics for the female just incase she is pregnant.

4 Likes

Did your snake come in contact with other snakes, a show? Ive only used tap water but its different than well. Sorry about your issues, hope everything works out.

4 Likes

Last show we went to was Tinley so I don’t think it’s that. I’ll keep everyone posted.

4 Likes

I really hope things turn out ok. Poor little guy! Yes definitely keep us updated! :heart::lizard::frog::snake:

2 Likes