Snails in the Food Bowl?

The wife went to feed her crestie at her office, and found these little guys in the food bowl. That is a 1 3/4" food bowl they are setting in. Should we go a change-out on the substrate or something? Or is this something to worry about? It is a fully bioactive and has been set up for a pretty good while.

5 Likes

I consider them just another kind of cleanup crew, I would not worry about them :+1:t4:

8 Likes

Lol! I think that find is really cool! Not only do they clean windows (aquariums), they clean the floors (substrate). :joy::rofl::upside_down_face::face_with_hand_over_mouth:

5 Likes

I guess you’ve got another kind of clean-up crew :grinning: I only have the springtails and iso’s :joy:

4 Likes

Where would these little guys come from?

3 Likes

From their mommas? Oops please forgive me! I just couldn’t help myself!:joy:

5 Likes

If I had to guess - plants potentially?
I know in the aquarium hobby that’s a really common place to find snails being introduced. It can get out of hand with that though, because most aquatic ones breed like crazy.

3 Likes

Well the wife thought they were pretty cool so they get to stay.

3 Likes

When I worked at Petsmart there was a small section of the aquatics area with a bunch of “mystery snails” in it. I thought they were pretty cool myself. At one time I had planned to buy a micro aquarium and put just a few of these snails in it but I never did.

In my fish catching days at Petsmart, these snails were the easiest things for me to catch…….

3 Likes

I have these little guys in some of my isopod enclosures, I assume they hitched a ride on leaves, bark, or botanicals. They don’t seem to be causing much trouble, so I’ve decided to give them provisional roles as part of my clean-up-crew, like @t_h_wyman . But they’d better behave- no shenanigans! :wink:

Edit: meaning that the snails need to behave, not @t_h_wyman . Hehe! :joy:

4 Likes

In my Crested Gecko enclosure, I have the Temperate springtails and the Dwarf White Iso’s. But somehow another dark grey sort of springtail also made it’s way into my cage :grinning: And, eventually a couple turn into flies. But I don’t really mind since my gecko likes humting them :joy:

2 Likes

I mean… All things equal, there are days and time I could probably behave better as well :rofl:

4 Likes