Snake born with no eyes

9 Likes

Interesting! Does it seem to be getting along just fine without vision? Does it have a similar or different temperament to its littermates (do you call them ‘littermates’ in boas? :thinking:)?

5 Likes

That is…unique. Does this snake remember where to water bowl is and if you moved it will it be confuseed?

2 Likes

This is really interesting, thank you for sharing!

If this was one of the many species with heat pits I wouldn’t see too many issues evolving, but with boas their eyes are vital. These leaves them left with touch and scents being the main way they are experiencing the world.

Please keep us updated.

A few questions I have though.

Was there any strange incubation events?
Have you made this pairing before?

5 Likes

Interesting. The folks over at Snake Discovery also have an eye-less BRB. You can watch the video here.

4 Likes

The litter was normal and all but 2 are normal in every way. One was born with one eye and is one of my best feeders. The snake without eyes acts normally in every way but feeding. I have force fed it about 6 times. It digests and sheds and grows. I’m sure at some point it will begin feeding on its own as well.

4 Likes

Hey hey guys, he has no ‘Eye’dea he’s different.

5 Likes

Though he/she is a little beaut regardless, assuming you’re keeping the little one so long it does well and makes it, which seems highly likely! :blush:

1 Like

I don’t know the extent of effectiveness, but it seems Snake Discovery has attempted and seemingly found a bit of success by using a clicker when feeding their eyeless rainbow boa. Similar to the Pavlov’s dog method, they use the clicker to indicate feeding time and theoretically the snake then associates the clicker with food. I think it would be an interesting experiment to try with your guy. They too had to assist feed for numerous feedings at first. Here’s a video where they briefly show this technique they used.

Skip to ~3:40

6 Likes

I produced an eyeless Lucy crb that’s been an outstanding feeder since birth. She’s had frozen thawed exclusively and never refused them straight from the tongs.

3 Likes

Any pics? :star_struck:

2 Likes

Look up snake discovery they have a rainbow boa that is trained and is thriving with no eyes just saw this was already mentioned sorry

2 Likes

Thank you. I’ve looked at that video several times. However, she still has to assist feed the snake. I have not found, but am still searching, for a method to get it feeding on its own.

2 Likes

She has gotten the snake to take food on its own in her most recent update on it. @scissortailscales post up a bit in the thread has the link.

3 Likes

Born just over 3 months ago, she ate on her own today.
She shed today, so I put her into a deli cup and closed the tray. Then I heated up two new born frozen pink mice in hot water. I placed these into the cup and checked in a few hours later. The pinks were gone and the snake showed a small lump.

9 Likes

Well done little one!
That’s so amazing :heart:

This is really neat. What is your plan for this little one? Keep her as a pet? She’s absolutely gorgeous.

2 Likes

Thank you. I am open to offers. I did turn down 750 before she was feeding though.
I really am enjoying my little pet. I want to keep it for the remainder of this year at least.
This is the only snake with no eyes that I am aware of who has eaten on its own

2 Likes

Beautiful noodle!!

1 Like

The eyeless BRB that Snake discovery has ate on its own.

2 Likes