SNAKE MITE! Help!

Thats fine honestly.

2 Likes

Oh wow! You might have to do a search to find something comparable. I am so sorry! :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

I know but I got your hopes up for nothing! You should be able to find something like it somewhere over there. Maybe check with your reptile vet. They may be able to advise you……

2 Likes

Keep me updated and if I think of anything else I will let you know.

Good luck! :crossed_fingers::heart:

2 Likes

I found a few alternatives fairy washing up liquid and ridmite its the uk alternatives.

4 Likes

Sorry, having mites in a rack really sucks!! You have gotten great advice.

Excellent advice here! I would also add the rack itself is hard to get mite free, bins are easy. You need to spray the entire rack making sure you get the cracks well with whatever is the equivalent of a strong prevent a mite type stuff. And like @d_y_python also stated it will take a month and I would respray the rack and bins every 7-10 days to break the reproduction cycle of these nasty mites!!

This is also great advice, and completely safe for reptiles! I would add just a few drops of dawn to Luke warm water, not enough to be sudsy but it really helps in getting the mites off the snakes, I would do this every few days to all snakes. Here there is safe mite sprays to apply directly to snakes as well such as mite relief, but I prefer the soaking method and super strong sprays for the bins and rack. Also you have to assume ALL your snakes have mites and soak them and treat their enclosures as well. Good luck! Everyone feels for you, mites are just horrible!!

2 Likes

You can try No Pest Strips. He explains in the video. I can’t use it because i have bioactive and it would kill all the isopods and springtails so i do not have experience with it.

2 Likes

I had mites and tried everything too. The only thing that worked and worked well was Provent-a-Mite. Recommended by Ozzy Boids to me.

Provent-a-Mite

Spray paper towels and let it dry totally. Then put the treated paper towels in the bottom of the enclosure. Do not spray directly on your animals.
Use the spray to treat all surfaces in your snake room.

I absolutely trust this product.

3 Likes

The whole thread is worth a read but I will point you to my post here:

6 Likes

These are not for use in inhabited areas, and are listed as toxic to wildlife. I know a lot of old school folks use these but the warnings on them make it pretty clear they probably shouldn’t be used around anything you want to keep alive and healthy. Here’s the SDS.

8 Likes

@brassmanreptiles suggested to me a handheld fabric steam cleaner. AMAZING! Not only did it disinfect my snake room, but I have also used it to deep clean hard to reach areas around my house :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I also bought a subscription for predatory mites for my five bioactive enclosures. Predatory Mites Link

Make sure to keep on top of your regimen (with whatever method you use) so that you kill mites at every stage of development.

8 Likes

I inoculate all my naturalistic cages with predatory mites and I feel they make a huge difference

7 Likes

I 100% agree with you if used correctly!! P.a.m. is always my go to for enclosures! The issue is @mjs-exotics cant get any p.a.m. in the U.K. unfortunately. Hopefully the alternate types in the U.K. are comparable in strength and safety.

4 Likes

Haha! A worthwhile investment!

3 Likes

I had mites once and i did ivermectin shots and soaks with dawn dish soap. I also took tweezers to my snakes and picked off the dead mites post treatment. Once a snake was treated it was out of the house, into a separate place with a tub enclosure with all new equipment. New tub, paper towel, sandwich container hides/water bowls and the like, thankfully i had a hoard of supplies in my garage, heat mats, thermostats, precut bowl hides… Once all of the animals are cleaned, treated, and removed from the affected area, i would go ham bam baloney sandwich on the reptile room.

Diatomaceous Earth is your friend. Use it to stop the mites from leaving the room by making a generous line across the doorway. You can use it to prevent mites from either entering or leaving a just treated rack system. It acts therefore like a barrier. Very abrasive, very skin drying stuff. Be careful when you use it, use gloves and a respirator. I would use other methods mentioned here as well. And then it is just time. I waited a full mite life cycle post treatment to put them back.

4 Likes
3 Likes

I got them once a couple years back and used Ivermectin to get rid of them. 1.0 ML to 1 liter of water in a spray bottle. You have to remove their water before treatment because you don’t want the snake to ingest it. I treated my collection for 2 weeks spraying every 3-4 days. It won’t kill the eggs but kills the adults so you have to treat for at least two weeks. I know some people aren’t fans of it but if you’re careful it works great and kills mites instantly. You can usually buy Ivermectin where they sell livestock feed or equipment.

4 Likes

Yes Ivermectin is an alternative and has been around for years. If used correctly it can be effective for sure. Snakes can be treated with ivermectin injections as well but should only be administered by a reptile vet.

4 Likes

You can also deliver ivermectin orally. But again, only have a vet do it because the line between effective dose and lethal dose is VERY thin and it is way too easy to accidentally poison your animal. And because of how easy it is to kill your animal with an oral dose, I advocate against using ivermectin as a spray because your animals can, and probably will, drink the spray off their body

5 Likes

Yes absolutely! I have never really thought of spraying the animal, just the enclosure and contents. Using ivermectin on livestock is one thing but using it on and in reptiles is totally different………

3 Likes