SNAKE MITE! Help!

Hello, my snakes have snake mites i need help! Ive tried so many method. Such as taurrus mite killer, snake mite spray. Washing/soaking the snake and nothing at all is working. Im notnthinking about building a new rack new vivs new everything deep clean the house with bleeach and frontline spray method for the snakes!! I need advice please!!

2 Likes

I have not had this problem. But what I would do is separate them in different rooms.
I would clean one and buy a temp bin to use and place it in another room. I would repeat this with all of them. Once finished, I would then deep clean everything including the room.
Treating the house would not be a bad idea, as you could be transferring them as you go in and out. The cat could also be transferred then.
Separating them will allow you to try and get them cured one at a time. This will make it easier as then you will have one less to treat each time. This could take up to a month or even longer deeon how bad it is.

6 Likes

3 words; PROVENT-A-MITE.

It is a snake mite spray that worked for me so I highly recommend it. All you do is remove the animal and LIGHTLY spray the BEDDING ONLY that the animal lays on. Let the bedding completely drry and the enclosure air out. Then put animal back in, after the enclosure has aired out.

DO NOT SPRAY THE ANIMAL WITH IT! There is no need to treat the animal with anything else either because after feeding, the mite will crawl off the animal to lay its eggs. When the mite hits the bedding it’s dead. The Provent A Mite will last on the bedding for 30 days. Also spray some on a cloth and wipe around all enclosure openings (doors) to keep mites from migrating.

This product worked for me!

Edit: I actually called the company to ask specifically how to use it and the gentleman I talked to was very helpful and precise with the application process. I was going to have my snakes treated with Ivermectin injections as well but he said there was no need for that and he was right.

10 Likes

I will try thus method currently im just spending more and more money on stuff. i just need to sort it out now thank you i will try this.

3 Likes

Ok. Also take note of the edit I just added on my post. I don’t know how many snakes you have but you can soak them periodically to drown the mites that are on the snakes until you get the product……

2 Likes

You will have to order the product online because I have not seen it in brick and mortar stores…… but you can expedite the shipping if you can afford it

3 Likes

They dont sell provent a mite in the uk.

3 Likes

Can you order it online?

2 Likes

Im not sure. There is some links saying its banned in the uk

3 Likes

I didn’t realize you were not in the US…… I am sorry!

2 Likes

Thats fine honestly.

2 Likes

Oh wow! You might have to do a search to find something comparable. I am so sorry! :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

I know but I got your hopes up for nothing! You should be able to find something like it somewhere over there. Maybe check with your reptile vet. They may be able to advise you……

2 Likes

Keep me updated and if I think of anything else I will let you know.

Good luck! :crossed_fingers::heart:

2 Likes

I found a few alternatives fairy washing up liquid and ridmite its the uk alternatives.

4 Likes

Sorry, having mites in a rack really sucks!! You have gotten great advice.

Excellent advice here! I would also add the rack itself is hard to get mite free, bins are easy. You need to spray the entire rack making sure you get the cracks well with whatever is the equivalent of a strong prevent a mite type stuff. And like @d_y_python also stated it will take a month and I would respray the rack and bins every 7-10 days to break the reproduction cycle of these nasty mites!!

This is also great advice, and completely safe for reptiles! I would add just a few drops of dawn to Luke warm water, not enough to be sudsy but it really helps in getting the mites off the snakes, I would do this every few days to all snakes. Here there is safe mite sprays to apply directly to snakes as well such as mite relief, but I prefer the soaking method and super strong sprays for the bins and rack. Also you have to assume ALL your snakes have mites and soak them and treat their enclosures as well. Good luck! Everyone feels for you, mites are just horrible!!

2 Likes

You can try No Pest Strips. He explains in the video. I can’t use it because i have bioactive and it would kill all the isopods and springtails so i do not have experience with it.

2 Likes

I had mites and tried everything too. The only thing that worked and worked well was Provent-a-Mite. Recommended by Ozzy Boids to me.

Provent-a-Mite

Spray paper towels and let it dry totally. Then put the treated paper towels in the bottom of the enclosure. Do not spray directly on your animals.
Use the spray to treat all surfaces in your snake room.

I absolutely trust this product.

3 Likes

The whole thread is worth a read but I will point you to my post here:

6 Likes

These are not for use in inhabited areas, and are listed as toxic to wildlife. I know a lot of old school folks use these but the warnings on them make it pretty clear they probably shouldn’t be used around anything you want to keep alive and healthy. Here’s the SDS.

8 Likes