Snake mites!😔

Its come to my attention that my corns have got mites! They were bought at the same time, so no quarantine was done. All bedding was fresh and hides/water bowls etc were bought new and cleaned before housing. No mites were seen until recently! Would this require a visit to the vet? Or is there something I can personally do to get rid of the mites? These are my only snakes so wouldn’t have been transferred from other animals. Any help would be appreciated!

2 Likes

I have no personal experience with mites but this mite :wink: help

3 Likes

Thanks! I’ve already transferred them to tubs with paper towels. I guess that’s all I can do temporarily. I’ve sprayed and cleaned everything in their main cages as well. Just confused as to why this has occurred weeks after getting them. Unless I’ve just missed the mites being there from day 1, which I don’t think I have :thinking:

2 Likes

They might have been on one snake in a very low quantity and just reproduced since you got the snakes

2 Likes

That’s the only thing it could be I guess. I’ll get them checked over ASAP!

2 Likes

can we see a pic of the mites

I have been picking these out of their water dishes and there are more visible in their quarantine tubs :pensive: I’ve ordered some hypoapsis which are basically miniscule bugs that kill and eat the mites (not sure if you’ve heard of them before) I will add them to the main tank within the next few days to kill off the mites. Hypoapsis are no danger to the snakes as well which is a bonus. The pic is the best I could supply as it is highly magnified

2 Likes