Snake not pooping

This is Willow! She hasnt poop now in quite some time…any suggestions???

2 Likes

Do you know how long its been? Or at least a rough estimation? It’s not uncommon for snakes, especially adults or sub-adults to not defecate often.

4 Likes

So she has left some very small poop/urinates but nothing really solid now for about 2 months if i recall correctly! She also just shed and i thought that she would have let some go with the shed! It wasnt a great shed so i soaked her in warm water thinking that would do the trick as well.

2 Likes

Is she still eating and behaving normal? Is she drinking okay? If so, I wouldn’t worry too terribly much at two months. Warm soaks on occasion if they don’t stress her out too much are fine. You can lightly palpate the tail section of her belly and see if you feel hard feces. If it feels like there is feces in the tail section, you can VERY LIGHTLY massage the tail section towards the anus. Aside from that, a visit to the vet would be my next step but not at two months without any other signs of distress. It may be that she is utilizing a large percentage of her meals to grow and so there isn’t much to poop out! How often are you feeding her and what are you feeding? Two months of feeding every other week is only 4 meals. I’m not a vet but that’s my two cents.

2 Likes

She is eating and drinking regularly still…but i can tell there is hard poop in there! I feel like it is bout 6 meals at least in there! She seems to be backed up to bout half her body length

1 Like

Personally, if it is as bad as you are saying, i would be going to the vets asap. I can only judge this by what you are saying. Please keep us posted on the outcome.

2 Likes

Maybe try a swim in a correct temperature bath. works for me. You will probably have to wait for a vet appointment anyway.

2 Likes

Have only soaked in small tub so far…will definitely try the bathrub!

2 Likes

Yes, the serpentine swimming motion moves things down naturally. worth a try.
Might look like its trying to get out (probably is) but the ‘serpentine’ swimming motion movement + the warm water usually helps more than just warm water in a tub.
Not a nice conclusion in your bath though.

1 Like

Definitely not a nice conclusion for the bathtub but Definitely worth it in this case! Not sure why i hadnt done this yet??? I used to put my snakes in the bathtub every so often back when i didnt have as many and they would often go in the tub!

2 Likes

So it worked? I am well happy for you. Old skool wins again :slight_smile: :sunglasses:

Not yet…was saying it has happened in the past!

1 Like

So far nothing yet in the bathtub!

I think she is so backed up that she isnt able to get a good serpent motion going and isnt able to bend as well!

1 Like

I’ve seen cases of people using personal massagers for impaction and constipation for tortoises and turtles, but not sure if would be safe or effective for snakes

2 Likes

Snake Discovery has a whole video on use in snakes.

1 Like