Snakes that can live in <10 gallon enclosures?

I’ve been wanting to own my own snake for some time, but unfortunately college plans dictate that for the next 4-8 years I will be living in a small location. However, if I could still keep any sort of snake I’d love to.

I had been looking at corn snakes prior to this development, as well as western hognoses. I know these snakes need 20 gallons at least as adults, correct?

Are there any species that can live in a ten gallon tank or smaller? Mainly need to minimize horizontal space.

I’ve been browsing the blind/worm/thread snakes and am interested in them but need to find more about keeping them and if there are established breeders.

I really appreciate any help :heart:

You could also look at arboreal snakes like rough green snakes. Be sure that you will be allowed to keep live animals as many college rules don’t allow them.

3 Likes

I’m living off campus! In an RV lol, but I will definitely look into them!

2 Likes

Probably not the answer you want to hear, but I would suggest that you wait until you leave college to get your snake. You are going to have enough ahead of you without the added responsibility of caring for an animal. Also consider the cost, especially in the event veterinary care is required. I know I didn’t have much spare cash when I was an undergrad.

4 Likes

I appreciate the concern, this post is moreover for ideas and planning! I’ve already got emergency cash saved up and if my schedule/income cannot fit a snake I would not get one :slight_smile: just need a base point to research

2 Likes

A rough green snake would honestly need more climbing space than a 10 gallon would allow. They are very active, and also eat bugs. I would say a kenyan sand boa but they need a good thermal gradient so a 10 gallon isn’t ideal. A rosy boa could work as they don’t need temps higher than 86°F so the thermal gradient isn’t as hard to make. I keep my rosy on ambient heat only.

2 Likes

The OP said that they were worried about horizontal space. I think a rough green snake could use a vertical enclosure that has the same horizontal footprint as a 10 gallon.

3 Likes

Would an adult rosy boa thrive in a 10 gallon? I see they can get quite long- just wanted to verify!

1 Like

An adult male is likely to do fine in an enclosure that size, as it is the females that really get length to them. It does all depend on the animals genetics in question and how often they are fed, though they don’t need to eat more than every 2 weeks due to their slow metabolism. An upgrade to a 20 gallon long once they are full grown probably wouldn’t hurt, but by then you will likely have more room to spare. Here is a nice intro video on them that Clint’s reptiles just did.

5 Likes

Thank you so much, I’ll look into it :heart:

1 Like

I’d recommend a male sand boa of any species other than Indian (they get bigger). They would be perfectly comfortable in a 10g for life.

6 Likes

I 100% agree with Westridge, prior to upgrading to a rack system I kept my male KSBs in 10 gallons perfectly fine with an UTH on a thermostat. Females would need at least the floor space of a 20 gallon with hight not being of much significance.
But then again I might be biased as I might have a sand boa (problem?) LOL.

5 Likes

I house KSB males in 10 gallons easily. Only thing is you waste a lot of verticle space since those tanks are nearly all height. In my opinion, if you’d consider it, getting a tub that is narrow and about the same 10 gallon amount. Plenty of space for substrate and tons more room. Male Tri colored hogs can do okayish in a 10 gallon tub done in a similar way.

For any burrowing snake it’s about digging space more than anything. Not as attractive as a tank I know…

4 Likes

Im pretty late but i think a ringneck would be PERFECT in a 10g

2 Likes

If I had to have something small like that I’d shoot for garter snakes. Or a Dekays those are pretty cool as well

3 Likes