So it is official!

So it has been a long time in the making but I am going to increase Leaky’s prey item size lol :joy:. I have been so concerned about her rate of growth that I haven’t been upgrading the size since she broke 200 grams. She was on 1 small mouse every 9 days but now she officially lost 5 grams, so we are uping the size. She is 352 grams right now and is on 1 medium mouse every 9 days. The reason to tell me so long to change it is because people, though I have deleted the comments on my YouTube, have really posted nasty things about me “stuffing my snake to the point of busting” just to say one :face_with_diagonal_mouth:. I know by most I actually have been feeding way way less than usual but she was just growing so fast for her age, it was kinda scary lol :joy:. So this is a new door we are walking through, the door to a 9 foot corn snake :rofl:. @noodlehaus produced this monster, thank you Jess. Oh and I think @caron and @caryl would want see this historic moment :upside_down_face:.

Her hatch date is June 12th 2022 by the way :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

10 Likes

At that size, I would be giving her at least 10 days between meals, up to 14, depending on body shape. How is her body shape looking nowadays anyway?

6 Likes

OK, I’ll definitely bump her up to 14 days. Her body shape has been fantastic, a tall rectangle. I am a firm believer in feeding less to snakes than most people. I just think as a hobby, we overfeed them.

But, you do think that the upgrade in size was a good idea?

7 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that people were nasty to you. People suck sometimes, especially on the internet (probably because it feels safer to be a jerk to someone when they can’t punch you in the face for it).

I can’t offer any feeding advice, but I’ll be curious to know just how big Ms. Leaky gets! It seems like she’s always been an over-achiever in the growth department.

7 Likes

What do your mice weigh? At that size, I like to feed my snakes adult mice that weigh between 21-30 grams.

4 Likes

My medium mice are between 15-19 grams. She was originally on smalls and growing like this. Would you say to even bump it more? :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Maybe just try the mediums for a while on a 10 day schedule and see how she does with that.

4 Likes

Ok sounds good :wink:. She is a weed for sure.

4 Likes

She has the most efficient metabolism I think I’ve ever seen in a snake. I’m sorry you’ve had to keep dealing with people saying you’re overfeeding her when I know you’re most definitely not and her body condition is great. Maybe mediums and a two week window will slow her roll a little. That said, the holdback girls I’ve got are about to ht 200g, so it is definitely partly genetic for her.

4 Likes

Every time I see an update with Leakey’size (or that of her clutch mates) I am astonished again. Not in a bad way at all, I know you’re a conscientious and caring keeper, Riley (and Jess). It’s an amazing example of nature’s variability. It’s a shame people have thrown shade at someone who truly takes good care of their animals. I’m sorry you had to deal with that.

Keep the Leakey updates coming as your big girl grows. I love the sense of wonder.

4 Likes