So what's the deal with MJ axanthics?

I know there have been a number of different threads discussing different lines of axanthic, however I was recently looking into axanthics for sale and noticed that there were only 5 MJ axanthic ball pythons listed for sale, four of which were lightning pieds, as compared to literal hundreds of TSK and VPI axanthics.

Is there a reason for this? Do less people work with MJ axanthic or is just nobody selling them? Or is the opposite and they’re in super high demand and sell instantly? The MJ lighting pied is the snake that made me want want to breed ball pythons one day, and since I have a pied female I thought I’d make my own. Apparently not…

2 Likes

I cant answer some of the questions you have but I too noticed the exact same thing. Before buying my leo clown I looked into pieds which led me down the rabbit hole of all the different combos out there and found it odd that there were not many MJs available. I think it could be because everyone is still on the VPI trend. Almost everyone I know that has axanthic has the VPI line.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m probably going to have to go the VPI route, which is fine, I just wanted to use MJ line if possible to try and create the original lighting pieds

1 Like

If you go the VPI route I would imagine that it would only benefit you since there are more combos and animals available in general as well as prices being a little more friendly since the market has more of them then MJ.

1 Like

I personally ended up going with the VPI line. It seems more readily available and more people work with it.
Hoping to produce my first clutch with some axanthics, if my pair produces this next season haha

1 Like

I actually used to have a 1.1 pair of het. axanthics that I gave to a friend when I moved 3ish years ago because I couldn’t keep them, and now I kinda regret it :rofl:

1 Like

My guess was that they haven’t been around as long plus the fact they originated in Canada. The fact there’s more lightning pieds associated with it is because I believe he found it when he produced the pieds somewhat out of nowhere as well🤷‍♂️

1 Like

Is MJ Axanthic know for sure to be compatible/incompatible with any specific lines?

As far as I know it does not. However, there is a new line that popped up called the GCR line so maybe that one is.

I don’t think any of the commonly existing lines (TSK, VPI, Joliff and MJ) are compatible unfortunately

What about the NERD line?

That one is supposedly compatible with VPI

That is correct. The Axanthics popped up unexpectedly, like a bolt of lightning

Not fully known. Mark proved it incompatible with VPI. I have not heard of anyone pairing to TSK or Joliff or BlkAx

2 Likes

Thanks, that’s crazy!