Solar Serpents Breeding Plans 2024

Aw, poor Wisteria. I’m sorry she’s progressing slowly. I hope that she can get her remaining eggs laid safely. It does make it harder for you that she’s less people-friendly. I am praying that all is soon well. And hooray for the healthy eggs which have arrived . :heart:

4 Likes

Clementine has begun laying! She was irritated about me moving the moss to check, so I didn’t get a great pic. I will check again this evening to see how she’s doing.

5 Likes

Let’s go, Clem! :partying_face:

5 Likes

Clementine thankfully passed all of her eggs in a timely manner. She ended up with 16 good eggs and 2 little slugs.

5 Likes

Hooray! Way to go, Clementine!! Congratulations, Olivia. Let the countdown begin! :confetti_ball:

4 Likes

How’s Zinnia doing? Any progress on the remaining eggs?

4 Likes

She was continuing to not make any progress on her own, so I manually removed one huge one last night and then the rest this morning since she made no progress overnight. She had some huge ones in there. I believe they’re all slugs (besides the six in the middle that she laid on her own). I also did swimming and offered small meals to her (which she refused), which didn’t seem to help, so I felt like I needed to step in before the eggs solidified.

4 Likes

Glad to hear they’re all out now, very likely the right decision as leaving them any longer would have become far more problematic once they started to adhere. Hopefully she’s feeling much better, and I’m sure it’s a relief to you. Sometimes all it takes is one odd egg to gum up the whole works.

4 Likes

It seems to really be slugs that cause the issues! Have you noticed that with any of yours?

4 Likes

I haven’t, but I’ve also been incredibly lucky in that my females have either laid all mostly good eggs, or straight slugs. I have heard from other breeders, though, that slugs have caused problems in their females.

4 Likes

Glad you were able to help her. I’m sure she’s glad, too! Hopefully your pretty girl will shed and eat and bounce right back to her normal self.

I’ve been incredibly blessed over the years and had very few issues with eggbinding. Last year was an exception. One slowed way down and needed swimming and food and several days to finish with slugs. The other was a worse outcome. Seems like infertile eggs are more likely to have a wonky shape or size, so it does make sense. I did have one young female this season who stopped feeding shortly after being bred and basically ran out of energy before getting the last two out.

5 Likes

Lark laid her eggs last night. She ended up with 12 good ones and 5 slugs. And she got them all out in one go without issue.

I have one more female that’s due to lay soon. One of the pairings, the male never got interested. He just shed a couple nights ago, so I’m tempted to try them one last time, but I’m also looking at my stack of egg boxes and feeling like I have enough already! So I think I’ll hold off on that pairing until next year.

6 Likes

Yay!

Hahahaha. What’s one more clutch? :woozy_face:

5 Likes

Way to go, Lark! Congratulations on a smooth laying experience. That’s totally a win. Should get some lovely babies in August. :clap:

Are you sure? Really sure sure? Really? Ohhkaaay.

Exactly. My females seem to have this philosophy this year. They don’t seem to care that I thought I had plenty already.

5 Likes

One more clutch is starting to be laid. Krakatoa, lava stripe.

6 Likes

Yay! :partying_face:

Look at that Cinder het working OT on her ground color. Beautiful.

5 Likes

Yay!!! :confetti_ball: Come on, Krakatoa, you can get the job done easily!

She has such lovely, clean stripes. Very pretty,!

5 Likes

One last clutch (unless someone decides to double!) of the year from Juniper. 14 big, long eggs. And she got them all out without issue, which is always a relief.

5 Likes

Look at those giant Tic-Tacs!

5 Likes

:joy:. I thought they looked familiar!!!

5 Likes