South Dakota Question

My husband is looking at a job offer in South Dakota… That being said it doesn’t appear there are many breeders in South Dakota in general so where is everyone going to expos around there? Or should I expect to only be doing expos outside of the state?

TIA

1 Like

I don’t know of ANY expos in South Dakota. Depending on where in South Dakota though you could be close to the Twin Cities and Iowa expos (Sioux Falls), or you could be a six hour drive from Denver/Fort Collins (in the Black Hills) and go to/vend expos in Colorado. Split the difference if you’re anywhere in the middle of the state.
We have a couple good rat breeders - one in Sioux Falls and one in Rapid City. Also some hobby breeders of various reptiles. I’m hoping to get into breeding myself. But big picture - it’s pretty bleak reptile wise. I mean, the entire state has fewer than a million people. There’s just not a lot of Anything here, unless you’re in Sioux Falls since they have basically 1/3rd of the population.

(Okay - there’s a little bit more to the rest of South Dakota than emptiness. Rapid City has a Target. We have truly beautiful countryside in the Black Hills. Rapid City has nice, relatively temperate weather considering it snows and all. And simply awe-inspiring clouds/skies almost every day.)

1 Like

Thank you. That is slightly depressing… but we would be near Mitchell so not to far from the Twin cities

1 Like

It takes me 6 hours to get to Denver or 8 to get to Minneapolis. Or 6 to get to Sioux Falls. So you’d be at least a bit closer to “civilization” (i.e. larger cities) than I am. I think one of the hobby breeders I’ve seen animals from is in Mitchell, if I remember correctly. If you’re on Facebook check out the public group “South Dakota Reptiles”. There’s probably a group for the Sioux Falls area, too, which you’d basically fall into by default of being an hour-ish away from.

1 Like