Species recommendation

Then what would you recommend? I love boas, but I would want to real red tails. Is there a spies of snake that you would recommend?

Well I’m actually purchasing a dwarf boa on Friday. I’ve read that they are very easy and only get as big as a ball python on average.

2 Likes

thanks I will deffily look in to them.

Are you talking about tarahumara mountain boas? if so I really like the dark colors.

Most of the non columbian boas are considered dwarfes but yeah the ones you are talking about are small as well. I am getting a central american dwarf boa which is basically a columbian in a smaller package.

I was told that the Nics were really nippy as babies, right?

Most boas I have encountered can be nippy as babies. You should have seen my rosy boa when she was younger, always trying to eat my fingers lol. Baby snakes are usually programmed to “bite first ask questions later” or just to be extra defensive because they are small and easy for things to monch.

2 Likes

thanks for clearing that up

i mean even if it were true it could easily get resolved with regular handling. the one im purchasing is not nippy at all. the seller sent me a video of him handling it and its just like a ball python in terms of handling

2 Likes

thank you :grinning:

I would challenge you to get a rubber boa to bite you LOL

@lumpy Are you set on it being a boa species? Or are you looking in a more broad sense? I know little about boas (other than my rubbers) but there are quite a few other non-boa species that are pretty cool

1 Like

I will take that challenge if I am ever lucky enough to get one. My pinky finger is, well, the size of a pinky mouse. That is the main finger that my rosy targeted and tried to “kill”. :joy: I am cursed with small, seemingly edible fingers. Not good for hungry baby snakes.

1 Like

I would recommend starting with a Central american boa, and then get a red-tail or another bigger snake,
I’m actuelly picking one up this week!

2 Likes

I have only had one snake and he is a boa. So my know-how is linted, I would take any recommendations

I believe you would be the first… I guess that’s sort of a achievement :joy:

If I’m correct there is no documented evidence of a rubber boa striking a human under any circumstances.

You would be incorrect. A guy in one of my FB groups took a misguided feed-response bite. He recounts that he believes the snake was more surprised/traumatized by the whole situation that he was LOL

If you are willing to branch out a little I highly recommend Morelia bredli, aka centralian pythons. They are in the carpet python complex, are nearly bomb-proof, love to perch so they make fantastic display animals, and are, generally, very mild tempered.

If you are up for a bit of a challenge, the Aspedites species, i.e., woma and blackhead, are very rewarding. They are also a bit of a handful because they are basically a cross between a CalKing and a roll of duct tape. Which is to say they, they frequently like to explore their world by biting it and then tangling themselves up in it for a half hour or more until they decide they are bored. They are very rewarding animals, but they will keep you on your toes LOL

If you are wanting to go further afield and try a colubrid… I have always had a soft spot for alterna. They are not your typical king snakes and if you are a locality-type keeper then they can keep you busy for decades to come

1 Like

I love the Bredli and spotted I also love hognose, though. I don’t know what I will pick, but I am defiantly a few years away from breeding anything.