Spinner Blast? Or did I get a mystery bargain?

Picked up a spinner blast yesterday, thought she was a spectacular example of this combo, but after looking online I am thinking something else is going on with her, I am no expert so would appreciate any views on this.
Here’s a pic…

2 Likes

Do you have more pictures? Different angles and such? Tough to judge by this one picture.

1 Like

Can get more photos tomorrow, if there are certain features you would like pictured.

1 Like

Looks like a standard SpinnerBlast to me.

What is it about her that you think is different?

1 Like

I am not that amazing at identifying genetics and I am mostly posting because I want someone to correct me if i am wrong but this is what i would say/guess. I think you have a pastel lesser spider or a pastel lesser pinstripe. The reason I would say lesser is because the pastel is really lessened and it fades to the white 1/2 down the side. The only reason I put pinstripe is because of the solid stripe down the back, i just think there is more brake up on the spider. Like i said i am posting to have someone tare this apart and help me learn.

1 Like

All the spinner blasts I have seen online have much darker patterning, hers is inline with a killer blast, but she does not have the white head of a super pastel, as I said she may just be a nice example of the combo, perhaps made with a particularly nice line of pastel.

The things you mention are a combination of the Spider, Pastel, and Pinstripe interacting in concert

One of the banes of this hobby is the heavy bias for posting baby pics and almost negligence in posting adult pics. The darker patterning you are seeing is in large part the baby versus adult issue. A smaller part is also very probably related to the “plasticity” of the Pastel in the mix. Pastel is incredibly variable in its expression and the quality (not as in ‘high’ or ‘low’ but as in ‘distinctive attributes’) of different lineages of Pastel can have a huge impact.

If I can remember I will try to grab a side-by-side pic I have of two DragonFlies I used to own that were radically different in appearance

3 Likes

I am in agreement

1 Like

T h wyman
Thanks, would the patterning fade that much in just 2 years though? I guess at that age they are deemed adults. I am just wanting to get my head straight about her as am planning to try and breed (for the first time) with her.

If you haven’t raised a hatchling to an adult the fading of colors is pretty remarkable.

2 Likes

thank you conversations like this help out

2 Likes

The ontogenetic colour change can be incredibly dramatic in some animals. I have more than a few example where you would not know the adult from the baby unless you matched based off of pattern the colour change was that extreme.

Here is the comparison pic. The two animals in the middle are both DragonFly (Fire Pastel Pin). Same FirePin father, different Pastel mothers

2 Likes

Here is a couple pictures of snakes as hatchlings and as adults.

3 Likes