Spotnose /powerball

How common it is for powerball (super spotnose ) to wobble ?

1 Like

Spotnose falls into the complex of animals that people tend to classify as “neuro morphs”. From my understand spotnose in its single gene form rarely expresses a wobble, but in its super form or combined with other neuro morphs, you’re very likely to see a wobble present.

2 Likes

I’ve seen a couple different people mention that every super they have seen has a wobble. There was a thread a bit ago regarding the wobble on super chocolate and super spotnose where it was brought up as well.

I personally have seen a single gene spotnose with a wobble as well. It was at a show and probably fairly stressed. But as far as I know…it’s not as common as in HGW, spider or champagne. Some genes in the complex just seem more prone to it than others.

2 Likes

i was eyeing a spotnose clown combo but I’m trying to avoid anything that could cause problem which don’t leave much space for making my own hets since i have to put those hets back together making the whole spotnose combo risky …every gene i want seem to be either allelic to het red or problematic in general .i want to make super ,i want to make pied but i have het red axanthic so i cant …I’m at that point that all my project are going into the garbage can because i have het red axanthic or want dark morph in general but can’t they all have problems…:disappointed_relieved:

Powerball, to my knowledge, always wobbles. I have personally observed multiple single gene spotnose animals with slight wobble as well, but it’s definitely not as common as with spider or champagne.

4 Likes

I wonder what the difference in their skeletal structure is. Because these neuro genes are essentially permanently dizzy as a result of their ‘misshapen’ skulls. Maybe spotnose and chocolate just have very minor skull deformities that gets more intense in their super form. It seems to me that a super spotnose is similar to regular spider so they may both have similar intensities with their skull shapes. And my guess is that in their super form for all of them they just get larger deformities. So I would presume that to be the reason a super spider never hatches. It’s skull is so badly deformed being as it is super that its brain gets compressed. If I’m not mistaken they die near the end stages of their egg growth, so I would assume that their skull is caved in and because of this, their brain eventually grows too large for the area it was given in their skull being as brain development tends to happen in later stages. Hence why our brains aren’t fully developed until we’re 25. Thoughts on this?

This is not reliably proven yet. There was one very small study that concluded that a malformation of the inner ear is a possible cause of the spider wobble, but this will need a lot more research before it can be reliably taken as fact. There are multiple viable theories as to what causes the issues and why some combos are lethal.

3 Likes

Yes. Genes are so interesting lol. I believe even pinstripe has an issue with it’s super form? I could be mistaken but I do believe Brian Barczyk (rip of course) had a whole video on a pinstripe mutation that he hatched. It ended up not making it and he said not one that’s ever hatched like that has ever made it past a day or two making it lethal.

Spider or champagne most likely. They’re lethal as supers or when paired

2 Likes

As @armiyana mentioned, likely one of those. Pinstripe doesn’t have any known issues like that. Pinstripe is one that has a super form that isn’t distinguishable from its normal form (het pinstripe vs homo pinstripe).

3 Likes

I went back and actually found the videos on it. It turns out he had bought and was breeding a pinstripe female when the gene was brand new. She had apparently created a genetic mutation in her babies two separate times creating very pretty orange snakes that never actually hatched. Finally after 15 years of having that female he got the mutation a third time creating a pattern-less bright orange snake. He was also getting these babies the first two times with the pinstripe female and normal male so it’s all in the pinstripe or whatever else that female had going on. He supposedly proved it to be a brand new gene by mutation (similar to how monsoon was created). The third time he hatched it the baby actually survived a few days and then passed for no reason. He stopped breeding the female after that as he had pretty much proved the new gene to be lethal and never even named. So yeah pretty interesting, I guess my memory was a bit off though and the mutation had more to do with the female herself rather than the pinstripe gene. However still, the only known gene in the mix was pinstripe and the female was bred for fifteen years only producing that mutation three separate times making me feel like it wasn’t another gene within the snake.

2 Likes