Stargazing or normal activity?

As my ball python settled into his new life and I began slowly introducing him to other rooms in my house I noticed that he would look straight up if going downstairs and sometimes even when I go to the car(I don’t take him with me very often and am usually just grabbing something from the car).

Should I be concerned? He seems in control of his movements and can easily get himself down, doesn’t fall over, etc. He also is never doing this inside of his enclosure, just outside of it.
I’ve tried to do my own research but, google being google, is only showing the worst case scenarios.
And no, I do not mean periscoping. He fully looks up, nose to the ceiling.

My best guess is that he is trying to watch the sky or is trying to see if he could climb from where he is, which he loves to do.
I do not own any other reptiles and he has shown no other concerning activities.

6 Likes

Probably just being curious. It happens.

One of mine would repeatedly try to figure out the ceiling fan in my office. We’d just be hanging out, he’d climb from around my neck to on top of my headset and reach straight up.

Another one of mine would climb up hIs corners and then travel as far as he could along the top of his terrarium until flopping over.

They just do their own things sometimes.

5 Likes

Most likely what’s called periscoping, which they do when curious

Here’s some pics of two of my boys doing some scopes of it helps!

5 Likes

Definitely agree with both @armiyana & @lily_jacobsen my pythons always try to go to the ceiling fan, and usually prefer to look or go upwards when I walk with them. I wouldn’t be concerned. One thing I am concerned about is you not showing us any pictures of your ball python!:rofl:

6 Likes

Yes @wolfusauris! As @banereptiles said! Where is this here curious dude of yours? We would all love to see this glorious star gazer! :blush::pray:

4 Likes

My blood python exhibits a similar behaviour. She stretches her neck out with her head up and usually tongue flicks a lot. I always just assumed it was a normal behaviour to gather sensory information about her environment. I don’t think you have anything to be concerned about, what you describe doesn’t sound like any sort of neurological issue.

5 Likes

@wolfusauris I have seen a couple of my guys do it on occasion but by the time I could get my phone to take a picture the moment passed! Lol! I just thought it was so cool and would make a great monthly contest picture but I never thought of it as concerning. So added with what others have posted, I think you’re good! :+1::heart_eyes:

5 Likes

I know, I always tell myself I’m going to get a picture of it because she’s so stinking cute when she does it…but she usually does it when I’m holding her, and she’s big and heavy enough now that it takes two hands/arms to support her, leaving me no spare hand to operate a camera. :cry:

5 Likes

Several of my corn snakes do the heads-up thing when they’re out of their enclosure. They are especially interested in when a ceiling fan is spinning above. Snakes are curious, like most creatures. Your pet’s behavior as you describe it sounds perfectly normal, @wolfusauris . It’s good that you are trying to find out everything about your new snake, its behavior and care. Stargazing behavior is caused by a neurological defect, and ipa snake who exhibits this behavior is definitely not in full control of its muscles and posture. It’s also unintentional. Your snake is choosing to look up when it’s out of its enclosure. That isn’t stargazing.
Btw, we love pics! Hint, hint!

6 Likes

Speaking of which, got this pic yesterday and have been meaning to post it here

5 Likes

If it is stargazing, you will know. I guarantee it is just your snake being acurious

5 Likes

Ok I can see that the ceiling fan is turned off! Lol! Your buddy is really staying “ahead” of you! :sunglasses::upside_down_face::face_with_hand_over_mouth:

4 Likes

It is actually turned on when I got this picture. He was a solid 4 feet away though :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Ahead…really? That was horrible. Super corny and bad jokes are my favorite so keep them coming :joy::rofl:

5 Likes

I don’t take pictures often since my phone is slow and has terrible camera quality(despite being around a 1 year old phone), but I did get this picture of him chilling in his humid hide recently :heart:

7 Likes