Starting breeding

Hello, I am starting up breeding and I just wanted some opinions. I have a het palmetto and a palmetto Het Amelanisitc female corn that I am going to breed this upcoming year. I also have a Bloodred corn that is a juvenile that I will add to the project when it is ready. For the future, though I have a Mexican Black King Snake and I know you can make hybrids does anyone know what the pattern would look like if you breed with corn (maybe the bloodred)? I know there is a mix of opinions so I just wanted to get some feedback.

Not sure what that mix looks like, but it wouldn’t really matter which corn snake morph you bred it to because the corn snake would only be passing on one of its recessive genes and the king snake obviously doesn’t have a matching gene to make any visual bloodred (or whichever) babies. So the babies would be 50/50 split of normal corn snake and black king snake; they wouldn’t look like a mix of a bloodred corn and black king.

All that being said, definitely start with your pure species breedings first to get a good grasp on how breeding works in general. Trying to do a hybrid breeding between a king and a corn won’t be easy, most likely, because king snakes eat other snakes. I haven’t don’t any hybrid breedings personally, so no specific advice there. There is a hybrid group on Facebook that you could join. There may be some more knowledgeable people there that could give you some pointers or pictures of what the mix looks like.

2 Likes

Okay, I was not sure if any of the genetics would carry over the bloodred does have Anery and albino in it so I was not sure if that would affect the look.
I plan on breeding my palmettos first and gaining all that experience with snakes first. I have bred leopard geckos before so I have had a little experience just not with the snakes quite yet.

The het anery and amel will only matter if the king snake also has those genes and they’re located on the same locus as the corn snake genes. Since they’re not closely related species, I think (I could be wrong, so anyone who know better feel free to correct me), that it’s very unlikely that any of the gene mutations are compatible.

1 Like

Okay that makes sense I wasn’t sure if they would effect it so thank you.

Since corn snakes and kingsnakes are in totally different genuses I think it would be useless to try. I don’t believe different genuses can be bred together and none of the morphs will pass over and make a visual difference. Taking care of the eggs, getting the eggs to hatch, and raising the babies will be very difficult since there is no standard for their care. Since it’s unlikely to work and I don’t see a benefit to it I wouldn’t recommend trying it.

1 Like

Some different genuses can be interbred. I, for instance, have a corn x milk cross, and I’ve seen super corns (corn x king) and turbo corns for sale. But otherwise, I do agree with you.

2 Likes

I know you there are several you came breed like there are the jungle corns and more like that and I have seen many others.

1 Like

Hey! :wave: I may be a python guy but since everybody and their mother seems to have tried to hybridize the ball python I thought I’d share my two cents on hybridization. We have super balls, walls, angry pythons… the list goes on and that’s just ball python hybrids. I personally have never heard of a F1 producing viable offspring (either all slugs, stillborns, or hatchlings that pass within a few days of hatching) which raises the question on if almost any hybrid is worth producing. Plus comes the issue of mixed hybrids being sold as pure specimens of a parent species and conservation efforts becoming derailed from hybridization making some species effectively “mutts” with no genetic value towards conservation.

Hybrids are also very hard to consistently educate about because most people can’t agree on care for non hybrid species already… imagine the chaos of people arguing over hybrids! I personally think it’s best to keep hybrids a thing of nature because at the end of the day we don’t know what is and isn’t genetically viable, healthy, and ethical.

I hope this is able to help you choose your path in breeding and best of luck to you!

1 Like

I’ve seen corn x king and king x milk hybrids before. I’ve never attempted them personally, but the results can be nice. I went to google for more information and found this page on them: Southern California Kingsnakes - Hybrids

Though others have already said this: be careful if you decide to crossbreed. Since kingsnakes eat other snakes you always have to keep an eye on them while breeding, even within the same species. My MBKs have tried to eat each other a few times. Luckily I was always there to stop them.

2 Likes

I have heard they can be cannibalistic so I would only have them together when I was there to keep an eye on them.

1 Like