Strange slug months after laying

So this girl layed a clutch in february has been back on food and has had a few bowel movements since then but today dropped a slug she feels empty when palpated and has pooped between the clutch and this slug so im just confused.IMG_20200903_082701_906

It’s not common but it does happen, you are lucky that it did not cause an infection.

2 Likes

Im just confused how i didnt feel it in it when i palpated

It’s not very big, maybe that’s why you didn’t feel it? How’s she doing otherwise?

Shes acting normal like she has been i almost wonder if she just passed it like poop because she wasn’t coiled on it or defensive of it

Snakes won’t defend slugs. They know when an egg is dead and won’t bother with it unless a slug is stuck to a good egg. They also can’t pass an egg like poop. They may come out of the same hole, but they don’t come from the same place inside them (one from the bowels and the other from the uterus). She laid the slug just like a normal egg. Though it was probably easier given it is so small.

3 Likes

So follow up she layed a second clutch

6 Likes

2 Likes

Did you pair her again or is this from retained sperm?

She hasn’t been paired since February (before her first clutch this year). So either retained sperm or parthenogenesis

3 Likes

Wow, that’s absolutely wild! I’m excited to see what comes out

3 Likes

I cant wait

she ended up laying another clutch! Super strange and now i just wonder is my male the sire or is it something you paired her too before i got her from you or is it possible a parthenogenesis clutch.

1 Like

so she actually ended up laying a second clutch so it wasnt a case of egg binding thank god

Congrats on the clutch, they look great! The only male I paired her with was a pastel, what did you pair her with?

Parthenogenesis is rare, but I’ve heard of it happening with females who’ve bred before. Guess we won’t know until they hatch.

1 Like

My male is a proven super pastel yellow belly so we will see

1 Like

2 days left till i cut the eggs and find out whats going on. Only 2 of the eggs made it this far the rest went bad during incubation.

6 Likes

I hope you’ll post the results when you do, I’m excited! It might be hard to tell who the father was if you miss out on the yellowbelly though.

I will post some pics tonight going to cut them when my wife gets home. Im pretty much expecting partho at this point since only 2 out of 6 eggs made it to day 53

2 Likes

Looks like We hit a pastel and a pastel green pastel. So its not partho

2 Likes