Strawberry vs Red Factor

How to do tell if that “pink” corn you have it a Strawberry or a Red Factor? I have a Ghost Tessera that was sold to me as also being “Red Factor” (though he is so hypo that I really can’t see it). He was bred to a Anery Sunkissed that must have also been het Hypo as there are some hypo babies. About 1/4 of the babies are now turning pink but I don’t know if that is due to Red Factor or Strawberry/hypo? Not all of them that are turning pink are Hypo’s so I’m leaning more to the Red Factor but want to make sure that I label them correctly

6 Likes

They may ask you for pics of the babies?

4 Likes

Yeah just as @caron said pictures would definitely help!

4 Likes

Because WE LOVE BABY PICTURES! lol!

4 Likes

And that too lol!

4 Likes

From

From this description of the parents genetics, I don’t see any reason to think that you’re seeing Strawberry. There was some confusion in terminology caused by the fact that the term “Strawberry” was used to describe a line-bred look before we developed our current understanding about the Hypo- genetic complex, which includes the gene called Strawberry. The gene Strawberry is inherited recessively, part of the Hypo complex. If your parents aren’t Strawberry or het Strawberry, neither are the babies. If you’ve got Hypo type babies, you could have Strawberry or Hypo-Berry babies. Homozygotes show these traits when they hatch.

it sounds like you are probably seeing Red Factor, which does develop over time. That said, all red coloration intensifies as they grow.

Pics of parents as well as their babies would be helpful. You can also check out the Morphpedia for more info.

5 Likes

This is the male

</div ![male|419x499](upload://hZz8Cx7yd7eF1GFeuhKh154By4O.jpeg)

Female

Plain Anery baby

Pink Anery

Pink Ghost

What does this look like to the experts? Red Factor or Strawberry? The babies have only had one shed so far and really went pink on just that one. All photos where take in the same lighting, outside in the shade.

5 Likes

Male didn’t load for some reason lol

5 Likes

Anery baby

4 Likes

Pink Anery baby

5 Likes

Pink Ghost baby

8 Likes

So cute :relaxed:

5 Likes

How adorable! I’m seeing Red Factor. What do you think. @solarserpents? @noodlehaus ?

5 Likes

To me they look red factor. But I’m not an expert with strawberry.

6 Likes

Looks like RF to me, too.

5 Likes

Thank you for the baby pictures @dream-scales They are really pretty The ghost one is my favorite!

Glad you are getting some answers on the RF question! Keep us updated! :blush:

4 Likes