Sturdy plants for naturalistic setups?

Alright so here is the deal, I have a large reptibreeze vertical cage and was wanting to make it a anole setup. But I want only live plants and driftwood. What plants would be sturdy enough and tall enough to fill the cage but not outgrow it? For dimensions of the screen cage it is a 16x16x30.
Thank you guys in advance!

3 Likes

I mean most plants will outgrow that are bigger for the viv, we have a ficus tree in one of ours we have to cut among other big sturdy plants.
Umbrella plants are good though as you just trim them?
But you can trim back any plants you add that are bigger.

4 Likes

Thank you! Yeah I knew most would outgrow but the goal was to have one main large plant in there with some drift wood and maybe some pothos?

1 Like

Pothos is a fav of ours!
There’s quite a few different types too! We have a dark green spotted one that’s cool!

3 Likes

My favourite plant is Garden Croton, so easy to chop back plus thick leaves for reptiles to land on. I also like dragon tree as they are study plants

2 Likes

I also would recommend pothos, I have it in one of my boa enclosures and it has stood up great to the abuse of a 6 foot boa! Also an additional plus it is almost impossible to kill.

2 Likes

I’ve got Pilea cadierei in a couple of things, it grows up and out great, you might find an interest in that as well.

1 Like

Dracaena trifasciata are pretty bomb-proof

I also use ponytail palms in some of my cages

3 Likes

I have both them plants but they don’t appear to like too much humidity and water.

I have 1 of each going well but a lot of them died in my enclosures. I have one as a plant for me now though :grin:

1 Like

Interested in details about that ficus and how you maintain it as I’m considering one for my 424 carpet python enclosure

2 Likes

I like rabbit foot ferns (these are a little delicate, but my gargoyle geckos have never done any damage to them), baby’s tears (best ground coverage plant going), nerve plants, and every flavor of bromeliad.

2 Likes

We have it in a female Crestie viv, all bioactive. Misted 3 times a day in there,l so kept moist. And when gets too big we literally just trim it. It’s done brilliantly, so much so I’m waiting for another to come in at the place near me for my new viv I’ve just done up!

2 Likes

Is it specifically a miniature or just a normal ficus trimmed to size?

1 Like

Are ficus like (or the same) as weaping fig?

If so, I have several little enclosures with them and one bigger enclosure. They are super hardy and great as a hiding place, the branches don’t always hold a Cresties weight but it certainly doesn’t die easily either.

2 Likes

Normal not miniature, they can get big so we trim it. Basically bonsai it!

2 Likes

Yes same thing basically! They’re great trees!

2 Likes

They are amazing trees. Only thing to remember is to trim them away from the reptile as they have a latex sap which is irritant to the skin (I wear gloves) and possibly harmful to reptiles.

1 Like

With cresties jumping on them though? :sweat_smile:
Ours would be 4ft + by now if didn’t trim. Grows quickly I’ve found too!
Was hoping Simon had one in but unfortunately not so opted for more climbers :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I love pothos and if you want something colorful you could get a dwarf peace lily which only gets 12-15" tall.

1 Like

In Florida, pothos grows everywhere! I mean everywhere. Even at the beach, 2 1/2 - 3 foot leafs on a pathos there. (Hobe Sound Beach, for yous in Florida) :grin:

2 Likes